“Donald Trump Is A Phony,” Says Mitt Romney at On-Campus Speech

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney gives a speech on the state of the Republican nomination for president at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Thursday, March, 3, 2016. (Tara Lincoln, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Mitt Romney denounced Donald Trump in a speech at the U this morning, saying Trump’s nomination would secure Hillary Clinton’s presidency.

“If we Republicans choose Donald Trump as our nominee, the prospects for a safe and prosperous future are greatly diminished,” Romney said.

Romney clarified he would not be running in the 2016 election, nor would he be endorsing any candidate at this time. Romney’s speech attacked Trump’s economic and foreign policies as well as Trump’s moral character.

“Not every policy that Donald Trump has floated is bad,” Romney said. “But his prescriptions to do those things are flimsy at best.”

Romney highlighted the failures of Trump Airlines, Trump University and other companies, saying the few economic policies Trump has announced would lead America into a recession. Romney predicted Trump will never release his tax returns, saying he has too much to hide, and challenged him to disclose his financial information to the American people.

“Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud,” Romney said. “His promises are as worthless as a degree from [his] university.”

Romney said the Clintons embody “the term ‘crony capitalism.’” He criticized Hillary Clinton’s record in the state department and her financial history, saying “a person so untrustworthy and dishonest as Hillary Clinton must not become president.”

Romney spoke of wars and civil unrest across the world and said a Trump presidency would only increase global hostility against the United States.

“Donald Trump tells us he is very, very smart. I’m afraid that when it comes to foreign policy, he is very, very not smart,” Romney said. “Mr. Trump’s bombast is already alarming our allies and fueling the enmity of our enemies.”

Romney also made note of Trump’s morality and temperament, citing examples of him mocking women and the disabled, and bragging of his marital affairs, calling such instances “evil trumping good.” Romney spoke of the nobility and characteristics of former U.S. presidents like Reagan, Kennedy and Lincoln, comparing their ideals to Trump’s attributes of bullying, greed and misogyny.

While Romney did not specifically endorse any candidate, he said the only Republicans with legitimate platforms are Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and John Kasich,

“I’m convinced America has greatness ahead, and this is a time for choosing. God bless us to choose a nominee who will make that vision a reality,” Romney said.

Students, like Diana Kelly, a junior in music education, said Romney’s speech made some key points.

“I definitely agree with what he said. Donald Trump is terrifying and is an actual threat to people,” Kelly said.

Kelly previously lived in Massachusetts, when Romney was governor at the time, and said she hopes Romney’s speech is taken to heart by the Republican Party.

However, some students were not as enthusiastic. Thomas Gannon, a senior in economics, said he likes Trump’s honesty and straightforward approach.

“It’s hard for me to say out loud that I kind of like Trump,” Gannon said. “He talks simply, doesn’t beat about the bush.”

However, Gannon said he plans to look into Romney’s criticisms.

The speech comes after several weeks of a twitter feud between Trump and Romney, who was the 2012 Republican candidate for President. Trump has said he will respond to Romney’s speech later in the day.

Romney spoke at Libby Gardner Hall as part of the Hinckley Institute of Politics forum series. Utah governor Gary Herbert, U President David Pershing, and Hinckley Institute President Jason Perry attended the event.

@mbatman72