Track & Field: Seniors Honored During Utah’s Lone Home Meet Of Season

The Utah track and field team hosted the fifth-annual Utah Spring Classic on Friday. The event saw several in-state schools and out-of-state teams from Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

The Utes started off strong, as redshirt sophomore Hannah McInturff won the 3,000-meter run, setting a school record with a time of 10:07.35. The sophomore’s record-breaking performance led the way and the rest of the team responded well, with seven other Utes finishing in the top 10 of the event.

Other highlights included the women’s 4×100-meter relay where Utah took third with a time of 47.81. In addition, freshman Chrissy Glasmann took first in the women’s javelin throw.

track 6

In the 100-meter hurdles, junior Christine Van Brocklin, sophomore Madison Lanford and freshman Lauren McCluskey all placed, finishing fifth, 12th and 16th respectively.

The strong showings for Utah continued in the women’s 800-meter dash. Senior Andrea Chavez showed she was one of the best on the team by winning the event. Three other Utes placed in the top 10 in the event.

The spotlight wasn’t on the races and the individual performances, however. It was on the group of seniors who have led this team the last few years. Near the end of the event, the seniors gathered at the finish line and were each honored by their coach and all those in attendance.

Chavez is a fifth-year senior on the team, and while she’s always running by herself out there on the track, her final campaign is felt and experienced with her team.

“It’s a very individual sport, but at the same time I can experience it with my teammates,” Chavez said. “It’s definitely been more than I expected. This senior year has meant so much because I’ve seen the hard work and how much we’ve grown, to see the girls who started as freshmen who are now seniors, it’s been great.”

track 7

This group of seniors will surely be missed with what they have done for this program. Junior Alissa Atisme mentioned that even though she believes in her team, no one can truly replace the departing seniors.

“I don’t think we’ll have a problem with leadership next year. Our group is really big and we’ve all had to step up since our freshman year,” Atisme she said. “But it will be different to lose so many talented runners, so many strong girls who have been there with us the past few years.”

Following the showing at home, Utah will hit the road for three days in southern Calif. The Utes will participate in the Cal State LA Twilight Invitational on April 14, the Brian Clay invitational on April 15, and will wrap up the road trip at the Mt. San Antonio College (SAC) Relays on April 16.

@JaredWalch