Experience Greece for under $3

If you’ve ever found yourself wishing you could experience a new culture or try some exotic food, you now have the opportunity to do both at this year’s Greek Festival.

Celebrating its 41st year in Salt Lake City, the Greek Festival is hosted by the Greek Orthodox community and according to the history section of the event’s website, is considered one of the “finest civic/cultural activities in the entire state.”

Having hosted as many as 50,000 visitors in a given year, the Greek Festival is a chance to experience Greek culture first-hand. In a statement on “We take great pride in sharing our Greek culture with not only the Salt Lake community but communities throughout the state,” said Rev. Fr. Elias Koucos, a prominent member of the Greek Orthodox community here.

The Greek Festival is the place to be to experience the baklava you’ve heard so much about. Among the popular dining options (like baklava and gyro), you can also find Greek fries, loukoumades fried dough sprinkled with honey and cinnamon (that was your stomach grumbling just now) — spanakopita and some traditional Greek coffee served thick and strong. After you’re done enjoying the main course, you can stroll into the Holy Trinity Cathedral to pick up dessert and pastries.

All the volunteers that will be either cooking the delicious food or presenting a beautiful, traditional dance are deeply passionate for their home country. And yet, it is said with pride that the Greek community has become an “important and productive element in the business, civic, cultural, educational and social life of our city, state and nation,” said Constantine J. Skedros, and that the ancestors that traveled to the United States for the “American Dream” did not sacrifice in vain.

The Greek Festival is an opportunity to celebrate the Greek community in both Salt Lake City and in Utah, and features freshly made food, dancing, and even a little Greek market. If you find that you’re able to tear yourself away from the lively music and souvlaki, check out the Hellenic Museum found in the Holy Trinity Cathedral, the first ethnic Greek museum in the U.S. and winner of multiple national awards.

If you’re looking for a fun night out or enjoy being surrounded by warm, welcoming people, be sure not to miss out on this year’s Greek Festival. Admission is $3 and free for children five and under.

To learn more about the Greek Festival, visit Salt Lake City Greek Festival for information on hours, location, and entertainment. Feel free to also check out Greek Festival to see what other people are saying about this cultural event.