There’s no Excuse for Boredom at College

You know how sometimes when you go to a party at a friend’s house, and there’s nothing much to do but stand around awkwardly and eat chips? Yet somehow by the end of the night you’re either sad, sober, and going home, or you’re sad, drunk, and going home? And high school dances are weird. The decorations are poorly done, there’s only water and occasionally cookies, the DJ feels the need to cut out every single swear word, and everyone is too shy to even dance. Fortunately, that is not what parties hosted by college organizations are like.

There was a party at the PHC, and I was honestly concerned it would be lame. A party with supervision on a dry campus didn’t sound like the place to have a good time. However, when I got there, it was awesome. Everyone was dancing or playing pool. I’m not the best dancer but the students in charge made me feel like I was. It was obvious that I’m a freshman (apparently only freshman doll themselves up for parties), but they weren’t rude about it. They made me feel welcome and everyone danced together, even though we didn’t know each other. It brought a lot of people in the dorms together; through bass drops, glow sticks thrown everywhere, magic tricks, and my favorite party song of all time, “Apple Bottom Jeans (LOW).” Some girls and myself shared a cement bench as a podium to show of our moves and we cheered each other on and it was the best way to start college.

Even though that first party was amazing, it was still nothing compared to my very first “Crimson Night.” Crimson Night put every school dance or random party or tail gate I’ve ever been to to shame. I was inundated with a free photo booth, mocktails, countless games and prizes to win at different club tables, a bouncy castle, water slides, a giant game of “beer” pong, and a dinosaur. I was just minding my own business when a guy in a dinosaur costume appeared. I had to get a picture with him, and he became the center of the mosh pit. The pit, seemingly dangerous, was thrilling. I could feel the sound waves going through my whole body. The dancing students created a pulse, their heart beats syncing to the music, moving as one body. At least that’s how I saw it.

Parties hosted by the college itself are better than randomly hosted parties because there’s less chance of someone getting hurt, or getting alcohol poisoning, or being drugged. There’s always something to do, whether that be dancing, socializing with clubs, playing games, doing arts and crafts or ditching to eat pancakes. That’s the biggest difference between college and high school. There’s always something to do at college. There’s no excuse to be bored.