Unwind with Gyros and Baklava this Week at the Greek Festival

During the upcoming weekend of September 8-10, the 42nd Annual Greek Festival is back in Salt Lake City. The festival gives resident Utahns the opportunity to experience a variety of rich, cultural Greek foods and dances.

The Greek Festival will run from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm on Sept. 8 and Sept. 9. On the last day, Sept. 10 it will come to an end at 8:00pm. Admission tickets are $3. However, children 5 and under can gain admission with no charge.

You can expect to experience the popular forms of Greek folk dancing at the festival. There will also be Pan-Hellenic dances from both the mainland and the islands, each with their own regional variances. The most popular form of Greek folk dance is where dancers hold hands and move counterclockwise in an open circle. Some dances that you have seen may include the following: Kalamatiano, Hassapiko, or Tsamiko.

In addition to the wonderful performances, the festivities will include the opportunity to try traditional Greek foods. At the festival, there will be foods you might have come across previously, such as baked greek chicken, calamari, gyros and dolmathes to name a few. In addition, there will be delicious pastries including common household sweets like baklava and macaroons, as well as more unique pastries. Keep an eye out for Karithopita, a sweet fluffy honey walnut cake; Amigdalota, a crescent-shaped almond paste cookie; and Pasta Flora, a shortbread crust jam tart, to name a few. At select vendors there will be unique drinks to try, such as sweetened and chilled Nescafé Frappé, foamy Greek coffee, or just a traditional Greek coffee made in a briki.

The Greek Festival is a wonderful experience for students and faculty wishing to obtain a unique perspective into traditional Greek culture. It is the perfect opportunity to relax from your studies or daily schedule. For questions or more information about this festival, please visit the following website: http://www.saltlakegreekfestival.com/index.php