Halloween & Chill

Cara MacDonald

As September gives way to October, you may notice an increase in autumn-themed dates showing up on your social media feeds. Salt Lake City has so much to offer for those of us who love fall; the ever-changing colors and cooler temperatures provide the perfect climate to get outside and enjoy this transitional time. From s’mores to hay rides, this is the perfect time of year to try a seasonally inspired date.

A favorite Utah tradition is visiting Wheeler Historic Farms for its annual Pumpkin Daze and Hay Bale Maze. Tickets are $10 per person and provide an array of activities that last all day long. With the purchase of a ticket, you are able to make your way through the hay maze, ride in the tractor around the 40-acre property and take home a pumpkin from the patch. From experience, I believe that the best day to go is Sunday, when the farm hosts the Wasatch Front Farmers Market from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. There’s nothing better than grabbing some fresh veggies, trying out some locally made salsa and enjoying the company of the farm animals that frequent the market.

If you don’t feel like traveling far for a quality autumn experience, on Oct. 26 from 2 – 5 p.m. you can check out the 7th annual Fall Harvest Soiree hosted by the University of Utah’s own Edible Campus Gardens. You can learn how to plant something new, harvest with peers, enjoy food and enter the costume contest. You’ll also have a chance to learn more about what the Edible Campus Garden does and see if you’re interested in joining in on the fun.

Red Butte Garden will feature its Garden After Dark exhibit Oct. 19-21 and 26-28 from 6 – 9 p.m. This year’s theme is Alice in Wonderland. General admission tickets are $12, but they are $6 if you have a membership. You’ll be able to enjoy the gardens decked out in spooky decorations and as always, leave having learned a thing or two about botanical preservation.

If you want to make the trip down to Thanksgiving Point, a premiere fall destination since 1996, you’ll find a pumpkin patch, corn maze, hay rides, face painting and more. You can also check out the haunted side, Insanity Point, from dusk until close. With themes such as Hayloft Horror and Big Top Terror, Insanity Point is not for the faint of heart, but well worth the visit for those of you who love a good fright. Prices at Thanksgiving Point vary depending on the events you choose.

From mildly fun to absolutely terrifying, it’s not hard to find something to suit you and your date’s preferences. Whether you’re interested in keeping a fall tradition or wanting to try something new, Utah has many great ways to keep you and a special someone busy this season.

@Maraya_DUC