Barber: Seven DIY Gift Ideas

Gift-giving is a cultural tradition of the United States holiday season. Making your own gifts can save you money, avoid playing into the consumerist spirit of the modern holiday season and be much more meaningful than a gift bought at the store. Here’s a few ideas for presents you can make yourself:

1. Make some art

Pull out those paints, pens, markers or pencils and start your masterpiece. No matter your proficiency, a work of art made by you is a heartfelt and special gift.

1. Put together a scrapbook of your memories together

This is such a great way to commemorate a friendship or relationship with someone. A homemade book filled with your favorite pictures or descriptions of memories will be an appreciated gift for your loved ones. Head to your nearest craft store and pick up some supplies and get to work.

1. Create your own ornaments

Grab some clear Christmas ornaments and go to town. You can create a marbled effect by swirling two or more colors of acrylic paint around the inside and letting it dry. You can fill them with tiny snowflakes. You can put dried flowers inside for an elegant effect. Get creative.

1. Make a coupon booklet

Make a booklet of coupons that can be redeemed for favors. Include things like a hug, an ice cream run, hanging out together, going on a drive, a compliment or a movie. It’s a fun and creative way to let your loved ones know how much you appreciate them and that you’re there for them if they need anything.

1. Tie a blanket

Get two pieces of felt from a craft store. Cut them to be the same size. Then go around the edges and cut strips that are about an inch and a half wide and three or four inches long. Cut out a square from each corner that is the same measurement as the length of your strips. Tie the strips together two at a time and voila, you have a comfy homemade blanket.

1. Make some garden decorations

Go out into your backyard and find a couple of rocks. Wash the dirt off and let them dry. You can paint them with acrylic paint in fun designs like flowers, ladybugs, swirls and spirals, or whatever you can come up with. These are a bright way to decorate your favorite gardener’s garden.

1. Have fun with knitting

Knitting is a fun and relaxing hobby, and it’s surprisingly easy. A simple way to knit is with a knitting ring, or if you’re feeling really ambitious you can learn to knit with needles. Online tutorials are a great resource and will help you pick it up quickly. Hats and scarves are pretty straightforward to make and will keep your loved ones warm and cozy during the cold months ahead.

No matter what you end up giving, a homemade gift is guaranteed to be heartfelt. The extra effort will be appreciated, and the people you create for are certain to love whatever you make for them.