Events Calendar Jan. 15

Fridays with Faculty

The Fridays with Faculty lecture series begins on Jan.19. This will consist of six speakers over the course of the spring semester presenting some topic about music. The first lecture in the series will be from Chris Scheer from Utah State University. His lecture is titled “Music, Theosophy, and the Challenges of Truthiness.” Don’t miss it at 12 p.m. in the Dumke Recital Hall.

Working Dog Graduate Reading Series

Ever wonder what graduate students actually do? Or maybe you’re trying to decide if graduate school is the next step for you. Here is your chance. Every year, the University of Utah does a series of eight graduate readings, four per semester. It is an opportunity for students to present their work and for you to see what being a graduate is all about. This promises to be a night of eclectic intellectual conversation and an interesting group of people. Check it out Thursday Jan. 18 from 7-8 p.m. at the Art Barn.

Returned Student Social

On Jan. 18, Learning Abroad will be hosting returned students for a night of conversation, games and food in the A. Ray Olpin Student Union. This is a chance to reminisce about all the amazing experiences you have had with people who won’t get sick of hearing about them. If you are thinking about going abroad, what better way to decide than by talking to the people who have gone? You can chat about which programs are the most exciting and what the process is like. This is the perfect opportunity to learn all the inside secrets and to discover the best places to visit on your trip. Plus, it’s enormously helpful to talk to someone who has been in order to know what to expect and what to pack. Learning Abroad promises prizes, food and information packets. There’s no better way to get a free meal.

Workshops

Food Entrepreneur: Burger Joint

Jan. 16, 6-8 p.m.

Lassonde Studios

Introduction to Mindfulness session

Jan. 17, 12-1 p.m.

HSEB 2938

Fabulous Fridays

Jan. 19, 3-5 p.m.

A. Ray Union

Auditions

Modern Dance Undergraduate Auditions

Jan. 19, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Marriott Center for Dance

Concerts

Winner of summer arts with American West Symphony

Jan. 20, 7.30 p.m.

Libby Gardner Concert Hall