Ballet West’s “Cinderella” Stuns

Beau Pearson
Principal Artists Chase OConnell and Beckanne Sisk

Continuing a stellar season, Ballet West opens February with a breathtaking portrayal of Sir Fredrick Ashton’s “Cinderella” and captivates audiences with stunning sets and ever impressive artists.

The ballet “Cinderella” was originally created by Sir Fredrick Ashton in London in 1948. Set to Sergei Prokofiev’s chilling music, “Cinderella” is poignant, featuring beautiful sound and artistry. Ballet West became the second American Ballet company to perform this piece in 2013 and continues that title today with another brilliant rendition of this timeless tale. Artistic Director and CEO of Ballet West, Adam Skulte, has again directed a masterpiece.

This “Cinderella” features the classical components of the beloved fairytale in addition to some unique features. Ballet often tells a story and depicts key characters, however, audiences will find “Cinderella” even easier to follow. It is truly immersive and a mesmerizing rendition of the cherished story.

Ashton’s “Cinderella” begins with a grown Cinderella living with her stepsisters and father, with a notable omission of the infamous stepmother. Act I introduces Cinderella and her various family members and their dysfunctional relationships and ends with the timely and kind arrival of her fairy godmother who proceeds to introduce Cinderella to the Fairies of the Four Seasons through a series of uniquely beautiful vignettes. Act II opens with the grand ball and Cinderella and the Prince as they are first seen together. This act includes sublime dancing and exquisite costumes as various duos perform. The final act concludes Cinderella’s story, following her escape from the midnight curse and the Prince eventually securing her hand as he identifies her glass slipper. The performance closes with a gentle and subtle finale as Cinderella and her Prince are reunited and blessed by Fairy Godmother.

[/media-credit] Demi Soloist Joshua Whitehead

Arolyn Williams as Cinderella dazzles with charm and stunning dancing. Her notable graceful to ordinary transitions between Cinderella’s home and ball personas are talented and believable. Williams exhibits true talent and controlled movements that are engaging and thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Williams’ partner in every way, Rex Tilton as the Prince, is strong and an appropriately quiet persona for his character’s equally quiet demeanor. In a show featuring layers of talent and attention, Tilton is a consistent and fulfilling performer.

Deviating slightly from traditional ballet theater is the startlingly hilarious comedic relief featured in the form of Cinderella’s stepsisters. Both roles are played by men and wonderfully hyperbolic. Beau Pearson and Christopher Rudd shine as narcissistic flirts who bicker more with each other than negatively torment their stepsister. It is a welcome and relieving relief to the sometimes heavy, psychologically abusive aspect to the fairytale. Pearson and Rudd work well together and are uproariously committed.

Emily Adams as the Fairy Godmother is exquisite. Her solos as well as mixed company numbers are wonderfully executed and controlled. Her fellow Four Season Fairies are equally strong. Sayaka Ohtaki, Katlyn Addison, Katherine Lawerence and Allison Debona as the Fairies Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, respectively, contribute to a magnificent ambiance and company.

The last artist of note is Christopher Sellars as the Jester. Sellars literally defies gravity in his awesome high jumps and subsequent acrobatics. He is energetic, consistent and impressively precise.

[/media-credit] Artists of Ballet West perform “Cinderella”

The talent of these remarkable artists is accentuated with incredible staging, lighting and costumes. The stage features stunning backdrops and scenery which transitions seamlessly between scenes and acts, aiding the flow of the story beautifully. The pumpkin turned ethereal, sparkling carriage is of a particularly delightful note as is the grand hall in which Cinderella and the Prince first interact. Sets and costumes are designed by David Walker with Pamela Robinson Harris as Principal Ballet Mistress.

The phenomenal music for this production is performed by the Ballet West Orchestra under the baton of Music Director Tara Simoncic and Associate Music Director Jared Oaks.

This three-act performance is nothing short of perfect. Ballet West has again achieved a beautifully cohesive story, bursting with meticulously highlighted talent and gorgeous design.

“Cinderella” run Feb. 9-25. Single tickets, priced from $20 to $88 are available online at www.balletwest.org, or may be purchased by calling (801) 869-6900.

It should be noted roles are performed by different artists per different productions. A complete list featuring each performance and their accompanying artists and roles can be also be found at www.balletwest.org.

In conjunction with the performances of Cinderella, Ballet West offers “Warm Ups.” These fun and informative discussions are free of charge to ticket holders and will begin promptly one hour prior to each presentation of Cinderella. Get the inside scoop on the evening’s program, including background on the ballet, information on the choreographer and other interesting behind-the-scenes facts. At “Warm Ups,” members of the Ballet West artistic staff are available to answer any questions the audience might have.

• C

cowboygatheringsocietyMar 2, 2018 at 6:58 am

I will have check now if I read “The Gifting and I have a that sci-fi rendition of Cinderella by Marissa Meyer for a long time now. I pretty sure I entered all the giveaways for that series. Thanks 4 sharing.

• C

CenterMar 1, 2018 at 6:49 am

• T

TaliaFeb 27, 2018 at 2:47 am

Lynette Randall, thank you for this post. Its very inspiring.

• M

MiguelFeb 16, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Great, as usual Photos are in color and add condiment to your cool reporting