Staying Cool and Happy in the Heat

(Photo by: Justin Prather / Daily Utah Chronicle).

Music festivals, hiking, camping and everything else that can be done in summer is part of the reason summer is so great. What isn’t so great is the gross feeling you get after spending too much time in the sun. How do you beat the heat and still make the most of your summer?

The first way to beat the heat this summer is the most cliche phrase we hear when the weather heats up: drink water. With parents, friends, the internet and doctors sharing this tidbit, it has to mean more than the throwaway advice we take it as. Water helps keep your body healthy and hydrated at any time of year but becomes vital during summer. Having enough water in your body is necessary because — as a Quora article shared by Forbes explains — “your body can’t function at peak capacity without it.” Your body uses water to lubricate joints, regulate your temperature and enhance mood, among many health benefits. This is why it’s necessary to replace the water your body sweats while you’re exercising.

Another way to beat the heat while you’re spending time outside is to wear light loose-fitting cotton clothes. Avoid darker clothing because the material typically doesn’t diffuse the heat throughout itself. Thin, dark material transmits heat directly to your skin. Loose-fitting cotton clothing is recommended for its breathability. NPR explains, “even if you don’t feel like you’re sweating, you still want to evaporate moisture off your skin. The loose clothing allows air to pass along the skin and exit, speeding evaporation and carrying off excess heat.” Your body sweats when it’s hot, but you don’t begin to cool down until the sweat evaporates off your body.

To avoid feeling gross mentally and physically, change your diet for the summer. Certain foods require your body to do more work to digest them, and combined with the intense heat Utah summers are known for, this work can leave you lethargic or feeling sludge in your stomach. Eating more fruits and vegetables can help with this sludgy feeling. Fruits and vegetables naturally have a higher water content and are easier for the body to digest — with the exception of corn. They also don’t require you to turn on the oven or stove top, which is perfect for those who don’t have great air conditioning or any at all.

Summer is a great time to go out and have fun — always remember sunscreen, though, sunburn is the fastest way to feel awful — and the heat shouldn’t stop you from doing the things you enjoy or have been looking forward to all year.

@ladyofth3lak3