The Notebook — Washington State

Curtis Lin
University of Utah sophomore defensive back Julian Blackmon (23) chased down a Washington State player in an NCAA Football game vs. The Washington State Cougars in Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, UT on Saturday,Nov. 11, 2017. (Photo by Curtis Lin/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

The Utes’ schedule doesn’t get any easier as they head to Pullman to take on the 3-1 Washington State Cougars.

Utah enters this game with a record of 2-1, losing their first game last week to the Washington Huskies. Just like last game, this game should be interesting, as both these teams have something to prove. The Utes and the Cougars are both coming into the weekend fresh off their first losses of the season. Going on the road to face the Cougars will be an exciting matchup.

After the first three weeks, it’s clear that the Utes have been off to a slow start. Against Weber State, they went down 10-0 during the first half. Against NIU, the Utes were scoreless in the first half and, against the Huskies, the Utes scored their only seven points in the first half.

Washington State has a high-powered offense, as they score an average of 42.5 points per game. Cougars’ quarterback Gardner Minshew has played great in every showing this season. He has thrown for over 300 yards in each game, and has thrown an additional 11 touchdowns and three interceptions. This was a surprise for many, as analysts thought the program would be rebuilding after the departure of NFL talent Luke Falk. The Cougars found a gem in receiver Easop Winston, who had six receptions for 143 yards just last week against USC.

Last week, the Cougars fell short to the Trojans, as they lost by just three points and displayed great football throughout. Many believe that the game would have been theirs if not for crucial, costly turnovers. If they hope to succeed this week, they need to establish their run game early. Running back James William has struggled this season, averaging just 3.9 yards per run. The Cougars have relied on the pass game, but mixing up their schemes could prove beneficial, as the Utes have displayed great defense.

The Cougars have won their last seven games at home, so it’s easy to assume that they’ll want to control momentum. Washington State has done a good job defensively as they have allowed over 30 points to an opponent just once in this season and that was against a great team: USC. Utah struggled to find production on the offensive side of the ball these past few weeks and if the Cougars can play decent defense, then the Utes could find themselves leaving Pullman with a .500 record.

For this game, the Cougars have the advantage, as the Utes haven’t displayed any offensive consistency this season. With their high-powered offense, the Cougars should have the ability to fatigue the Utes’ defense as many believe that Utah’s offense won’t be on the field for too long. After losing to the Trojans — a game the Cougars believe they should have won — they’re returning back home with a lot of motivation to dismantle the Utes. Despite the advantages for the Cougars, the Utes could surprise many and claim a 3-1 record, as they have beaten great teams in the past when nobody expects it.

• S

SomiSep 26, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Great article. Very informative and well-written!