I’m Grateful for a Month of Blockbusters

Courtesy of Flickr

November marks the beginning of the holiday movie season with hits sure to smash the box office this month. Films hoping for an Academy Award nomination typically cluster at the end of the year to squeeze themselves in before the Oscars’ deadline. We also see blockbusters released around the holidays to take advantage of the time that most people have off at the end of the year. Here are the most highly anticipated films premiering in November.

Bohemian Rhapsody (PG-13)
In theaters November 1

“Bohemian Rhapsody” celebrates the legacy of the band Queen. Rami Malek (Mr. Robot) stars in the iconic role of Freddie Mercury. The film covers the band’s history from early days up through their show-stealing performance at Live Aid in 1985.

Boy Erased (R)
In theaters November 2

A definite contender for award nominations this Oscar season, “Boy Erased” tells the story of 19-year-old Jared who, after getting outed to his parents, is told that he has a choice between gay conversion therapy or exile from his friends and family. The film is already receiving high praise, with Clayton Davis from the Award Circuit calling the film “a stunning achievement.” Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe star in the film as Jared’s parents, a Baptist preacher and his wife.

[media-credit name=”public domain” align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit]

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (PG)
In theaters November 2

Boasting a cast containing cinema legends such as Dame Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman, “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” promises a creative retelling of the holiday classic. The film follows a young Clara, who is coaxed into a parallel world by a golden key. The hunt for the golden key leads Clara to new friends, mysterious realms and a quest to bring peace to the land.

The Girl in the Spider’s Web (not yet rated)
In theaters November 9

Known for her stunning portrayal as Queen Elizabeth in the Netflix original “The Crown,” Claire Foy plays hacker Lisbeth Salander in “The Girl in the Spider’s Web.” Based on the fourth book in David Lagercrantz’s “Millennium” series, the films follows Salander after she is recruited by the NSA to steal a computer program with the ability to access nuclear launch codes for weapons located all over the world. David Fincher, who directed “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” returned to direct the sequel. “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” is the first film adaptation of Lagercrantz’s novels to be produced in English in its initial production.

[media-credit name=”flikr” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]

The Grinch (PG)
In theaters November 9

Benedict Cumberbatch takes the lead as the voice of the Grinch. You know, the one who stole Christmas. Premiering early in the month, “The Grinch” is sure to put you in the holiday spirit. This revamped version of Dr. Seuss’ beloved holiday tale brings the same story in an updated animated format. “The Grinch” is another great movie option for families, but also for people who just want a dose of holiday nostalgia.

[media-credit name=”flikr” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (PG-13)
In theaters November 16

The second installment in the Harry Potter spinoff, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” takes place in 1920s Paris. The sequel follows the events of Newt Scamander’s capture of the dark wizard, Grindelwald. Tina (Katherine Waterston), Queenie (Alison Sudol) and Jacob (Dan Fogler) return in the sequel, along with the addition of a young Dumbledore played by Jude Law.

Widows (R)
In theaters November 16

From the director of “12 Years a Slave,” “Widows” is a story of four women who follow in the footsteps of their husbands’ criminal activities following their spouses’ deaths. Together, they attempt to build a future for themselves. Viola Davis (How to Get Away With Murder), Michelle Rodriguez (The Fast and Furious series), Elizabeth Debicki (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) and Cynthia Erivo (Bad Times at the El Royale) play the four female leads in this crime thriller.

Creed II (PG-13)
In theaters November 21

Michael B. Jordan is back as Adonis Creed, a wrestler training with Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone). Against his trainer’s wishes, Creed plans to face off against his born enemy in the fight of his life. Creed and Balboa are forced to deal with their haunting pasts in this sequel with callbacks to the legacy of the Rocky films.

[media-credit name=”PoccnnIndustries” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Ralph Breaks the Internet (PG)
In theaters November 21

In the long-anticipated sequel to “Wreck It Ralph,” Ralph and Vanellope leave the arcade to traverse the vast depths of the internet to find a part for a broken game. Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman) joins the cast as Shank along with Taraji P. Henson (Empire) as Yesss — and Kristen Bell makes an appearance as Princess Anna from “Frozen.”

Robin Hood (PG-13)
In theaters November 21

The first references to a thief named Robin Hood date back to the 1300s. Over the last seven centuries, the story of Robin Hood has been retold over and over and often used as a trope to tell tales about champions of the disenfranchised. The 2018 film “Robin Hood” is the newest retelling of the popular legend starring Tren Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service) as Robin and Jamie Foxx (Django Unchained) as Little John. Together, Robin and Little John revolt against the injustices of a corrupt English monarchy.

Movies Coming to Netflix in November

The Holiday Calendar
November 2

A photographer receives an antique advent calendar from her grandfather which appears to predict the future and guide her towards true love.

Outlaw King
November 9

Starring Chris Pine, “Outlaw King” is about Robert the Bruce and his fight to retake Scotland from English rule in the 14th century.

May the Devil Take
November 15

Alfie and her family reunite at the family villa to get answers about her father’s mysterious illness. The secret of her father’s demonic pact is revealed in this Indonesian horror film.

Cam
November 16

“Cam” is a technology-driven psychological horror film about a camgirl, Alice, who discovers an exact replica of herself has replaced her on her own show.

@mariellerrrr