Utes Tear Up the Track at New Mexico Invitational

Christopher Ayers

Utah Track and Field had a strong outing this weekend, which saw some record-breaking performances at the New Mexico Invitational.

Jackie Martin began the day for the Utes and Utah’s A and B teams finished things off in the 4×400 relay. 

On Saturday, four Utes moved into the top ten in Utah history for their respective races. Martin ran the 400-meter in 55.82 and moved into sixth place in Utah history. Taylor Watson also earned a personal record and moved into third place in school history with a 24.98 in the 200-meter, while senior Raynee Helm-Wheelock moved into ninth all-time in the 200 with a 25.58. Whitney Hessler also moved into eighth place at Utah in the 800-meter run with a 2:10.16

“We really had a strong day and overall I think we competed very well,” said head coach Kyle Kepler. “I was very pleased with the performances from [Saturday] and it was another step forward for our young, talented crew of student-athletes.”

Watson and Helm-Wheelock also tied their personal records in the 60-meter with a 7.66 and a 7.79, respectively. Brooklyn James led the way for the Utes in the 600-meter taking fourth place overall with a personal best of 1:36.91. Brooke Martin wasn’t far behind James finishing with a PR of 1:37.02 and taking fifth place.

Hessler had a personal best 800-meter run taking third place overall, while Mesa Weidle also had a personal record in the 800 with a 2:16.84, taking fifth place.

The Utah A team, which includes Lauren O’Banion, Maya Lebar, Weidle and J. Martin, set a season-best time of 3:47.10 in the 4×400 meter relay taking third place. Utah B, which includes James, B. Martin, Skyler Blair, and Hessler, took fifth place in the 4×400 with a 3:55.16.

The Utes will be back on the track next weekend at the Colorado Indoor Invitational in Boulder, Colorado. The Invitational will last two days and takes place Feb. 1-2.

Keep updated with the Utah Track and Field team on Twitter (@Utah_trackfield), Facebook (UtahTrackXC) and on Instagram (@utahtrackxc).

@brayden_ramsay