Utes Dominate in Final Regular Season Meet

Adam Fondren
Utah’s Cole Avery swims against Brigham Young University at the Natatorium in Salt Lake City, UT on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018 (Photo by Adam Fondren | Daily Utah Chronicle)

In their final regular season meet, the University of Utah women’s swim team headed to Pullman, Washington, to take on Washington State University.

The Utes were victorious overall with a 167-93 win. The team won 13 out of 14 events in the day.

The highlight of the meet was the 200 medley team that set a pool record with a time of 1:41.46. The team was composed of Emma Lawless, Darby Wayner, Aryanna Fernandes and Gillian St. John.

Wayner also won the 100 breast event and a number of other Utes were the winners in two events. St. John won both the 200 fly and the 100 fly. Fernandes was also up there in both the 50 free and the 100 free.

Sara McClendon was the winner of both the 500 and 1000 free. Additionally, the 400 free relay team took home the win with participants that included St. John, Fernandes, Ianire Casarin and Sarah Lott.

Casarin won the 200 free, and Lott took first in both the 100 and 200 back races. Senior Jordan Anderson ended her final regular season meet with a win in the 400 IM with a time of 4:23.10.

“This was a great win for us on the road,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “I am so proud of how we were able to step up despite being short handed due to illnesses. I want to highlight two things today. Our seniors ended their careers with five straight dual wins and were able to break a pool record in the 200 medley relay.”

Up next for the Utes is the Pac-12 Championships. This meet will take place from Feb. 27 to March 2 in Federal Way, Washington. Swimmers will compete at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center against all of the other Pac-12 schools. 

In addition to the swim teams competing here, both the men’s and women’s diving teams will make appearances in Washington for this meet.

The dive teams were successful in their last appearances, and three Utes had podium finishes. Freshman Rylan Little earned a personal best score of 325, which is also the fifth best in Utah history, finishing eighth overall.

On the women’s dive team, both Clare Greenlow and Emma Ruchala set personal bests in the preliminaries. Greenlow ended up placing eighth overall at the meet.

For the men’s swim team, however, before they head to their leg of the Pac-12 Championships which are held from March 6 to March 9, will have one final meet. The Utes will be in Los Angeles, California, to compete against the University of Southern California in their final regular season meet.

The Utes showed up well in their last meet which was in Colorado Springs, Colorado, against the Air Force Academy.

@CaseyOverfield