To Binge or Not to Binge Episode 44: ‘Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes’

Hannah Allred
(Graphic by Hannah Allred | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Practically everyone sat down to binge “Conversations with Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes” the weekend it was released on Netflix. The four-part series is told by the infamous serial killer himself through a series of tape recordings with a journalist. Bundy was finally ready to talk, even if he wasn’t immediately willing to tell the truth. Acting as a third person, he vividly describes the person that he thinks committed these violent murders all across the country. The series tells the story of how Bundy’s killings took the nation by storm and paralyzed it with fear, comments on how a lack of technology affected the search in local police departments and most importantly, the series allows the audience to directly get into the mind of Ted Bundy.

Hugh Aynesworth and Stephen G. Michaud work together in this docuseries, tracing Bundy’s past from the moment he was born to his first killing. Perhaps the most interesting part of this series is the reflection on how Bundy was able to get away with his crimes. He was a meticulous criminal, careful to not leave a trace of himself behind to give away the culprit behind the disappearances. One thing is abundantly clear: Bundy was a deviously clever man. He was able to escape police custody twice, disappearing into thin air when he was the most wanted man in the country. Ultimately, he was convicted of over 30 murders across the country. Eventually, he paid the price for the lives he took, but the docuseries makes it apparent he wasn’t willing to admit his guilt until the day of his execution.

This series is important for many reasons. It simultaneously provides an introspective look into Ted Bundy and his life and a commentary on how local police departments weren’t equipped enough to deal with crimes of this magnitude. In the docuseries, many of the experts and case workers on Bundy’s crimes reflect on how the words “serial killer” didn’t exist before Bundy came around.

To Binge or Not to Binge

Without a doubt, this is a show to binge. Once you get past the horror of the crimes Bundy committed, it’s almost impossible not to want to know more. With Bundy narrating why someone (he) committed these crimes, it’s not only authentic but horrifying. It’s more impactful than just listening to experts talk about Bundy. You might not be able to sleep or think straight after watching it, but you’ll be in a sort of awe of how he was able to get away with things.

You can also see a University of Utah cameo in the docuseries, since Bundy attended law school here. Tracing the lineage and rampage of Bundy’s crimes, the series gives an insight to Bundy that we wouldn’t have received from anyone else but him. The Daily Utah Chronicle recently covered Bundy’s time at the U and interviewed one of his law school classmates.

Best Episode

Episode 3 — “Not My Turn to Watch Him”

This episode is the best one because Bundy escapes not once but twice — and he manages to commit one of his most brutal murders during his joyride away from custody.

Similar shows

“The Innocent Man” and “Making a Murderer”

Trigger Warnings: This series contains many triggers, including mentions of death, rape, gory images, necrophilia and more.

“Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes”
Available to stream on Netflix.
4 episodes, about an hour each with the final one being 80 minutes.

@palak_jayswal