Gaming Corner: ‘Super Mario Maker 2’

Designed by Ray Gill
(Designed by Ray Gill | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Warning: This review may contain spoilers for “Super Mario Maker 2.”

“Super Mario Maker 2” has been a long anticipated game for many fans. It was finally released June 28 — four years after the first game⁠ — for the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo has since put a lot of work into allowing their players to freely create. Playing this game, you’re thrown into the game developer’s seat. All of the tools you need to create your very own 2D or 3D side-scrolling Super Mario game are available here. “Super Mario Maker 2” provides more than what players can ask for out of a sequel.

Some players may miss the Switch’s predecessor, the Wii U, whose strange setup was a marriage of hardware and software. Similar to how some players may miss the setup of the GameCube and its controllers while playing “Super Smash Bros. Melee,” it may seem strange to play “Mario Maker” on a newer console. Many were also concerned with the new Nintendo Online service that just began requiring payment last September. Luckily there are many offline levels, offline co-op and a story mode. You’ll learn to love the Switch’s controls.

Super Mario Maker 2 shows off more than what one could have expected from a sequel.

Aesthetics

This sequel provides more than that nostalgic feel for the original “Super Mario Bros.” games. This version includes more freedom for creativity and just as much — if not more — of a challenge. Of course, that all depends on your skills with the original games. Game art can be almost whatever the player wants it to be. You can play with the same retro graphics as the original side-scrollers or with modern 3D aesthetics. At the game’s core, “Super Mario Maker 2” is what its previous iteration was built upon — a tool to experiment and create a specific world or course. The Nintendo Switch, however, brings this concept to a new level. There’s a large array of new building blocks with which players can almost endlessly reinvent the original “Super Mario Bros.” Building is a very intuitive process. You simply drag and drop items into your level and instantly play-test anything you add in.

Gameplay

While much of the game is dependent on the Nintendo Online service, there is an offline story mode that may stand alone as its own Mario-esque game. The online service goes for $3.99 per month currently, but for $20 you can get a year’s worth of online service. The story mode may just be enough to whet your appetite for a fun time though. In story mode, you play as Mario trying to rebuild the Mushroom Kingdom as he earns coins going through different courses. The robust story mode provides the perfect tutorial as it allows you to play a Mario game while learning what can be done in the course editor. New building options include custom win conditions, switches for turning things on and off, slopes items and even the eerie “Super Mario Bros. 3” Angry Sun.

While it may be easy to create a simple level, the challenge comes with making a hard and fair level with clear conditions for others to understand and overcome. The process of building a course is user-friendly and intuitive as you drag and drop items and conditions with instant play-testing. Another challenge comes with being recognized and getting players to see what you produce, as the levels can be over-saturated by many other player-built levels. In order to play other online levels or upload your own and connect to the community, you have to have the online service.

Verdict: 9/10 Coins

“Super Mario Maker 2” has truly improved just about every area of the experience from its original. The sequel does more than provide a fun experience to learn and create — it also provides players with the opportunity to see what it’s like to be a game developer. This is definitely a recommended game for those who want to go into the field. You get to see not just what developers do but how fun is created and how a sequel can be well made.

Similar Games: “Super Mario Maker,” “Super Mario Odyssey,” “Super Mario Party,” “Super Mario World, Mario Bros.,” “Super Mario 3D World,” “Mario Kart Deluxe,” “Mario Kart 8,” “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” and “Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle”

ESRB rating: E for Mild Cartoon Violence

Platform: Nintendo Switch

@gamarayzchannel