Gaming Corner: ‘Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition’

Designed by Ray Gill

(Designed by Ray Gill | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Ray H., Arts Writer

Warning: This review may contain spoilers for “Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition.”

Have you ever seen a game that juxtaposes cuteness with deadliness before? Games like “Hollow Knight” and “The Binding of Isaac” have tried this unlikely combo. However, combine these two aspects with a bit of Souls-like aesthetic and you’ve got an intense game that you may not want to put down. 

“Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition” is the newest version of the “Enter the Gungeon” franchise, released on Aug. 6. The “Deluxe Edition” contains the original game with all of its DLCs (downloadable content,) including its most recent DLC release, “A Farewell to Arms.” It’s been over three years since the debut of “Enter the Gungeon” and Dodge Roll’s first game, which was published by Devolver Digital. Now, the game is imported to the Nintendo Switch, which comes with an issue or two. Either way, this game should be added to your list of games to play as a game lover and designer, whether you enjoy rogue-like games or not.  

Aesthetics

Everything in the game is reminiscent of guns or is gun-related — from your character’s “hearts,” that represent their health shaped as bullets, to the enemies, which are large walking guns that shoot more guns. Plus, the aesthetics throughout scream adorable. The 16-bit enemies have “doodled faces,” similar to a Ditto character from the “Pokemon” games and movies. 

Players get a choice of six various silly, fantasy-like characters that range in diversity of gender, class and race, including a convict reminiscent to the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black.” Throughout the game, you’ll find similar pop-culture tropes and jokes. Every detail in “Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition” show love from the developer.

Gameplay

“Enter the Gungeon.”

“Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition” is more than a rouge-like dungeon crawler. Succession is based on a player’s skill rather than their luck compared to similar games like “The Binding of Isaac.” For a long time, “The Binding of Isaac” was a clear comparison, with its action-packed, room-clearing bullet shooting. However, “Enter the Gungeon” has made a name for itself by subtly improving upon what “The Binding of Isaac” lacked. 

“Enter the Gungeon” is more than a constant flurry of dodging and shooting. Each enemy has its own abilities and patterns that up the ante with every room the player ventures between its six heroes. You never know what is coming. Different types of loot and the location of certain areas seem less randomized, with more purposeful placing than “The Binding of Isaac.” Dodge Roll developed the indie game in a way to ensure the player works for their items and weapons. You don’t start off with anything good right away. The tutorial perfectly marks how you must hone your skills. The developers also included many more moves, like the dodge roll (it’s not just the developer’s name) and the ability to transport locations and remove loot after defeating enemies, all without having to trace back to empty rooms.

Imports to the Nintendo Switch can sometimes involve issues with lower graphics, play rate and lagging, or controls not syncing up perfectly. All of these can wreak havoc for any player that dishes out the cash. My copy may have something wrong with the controls, or it could be something missed in the game itself. Locking onto an enemy doesn’t register with the assigned button. Even when trying to customize the controls with their moves, the lock feature isn’t changeable. You can still play without the working locking feature or you may have to hold the button down — since it seems to work intermittently — and it becomes a major annoyance. This is especially true since the game is more Souls-like beyond its challenging composition. You also cannot save the game between levels unless you beat a boss — unlike a game like “Cuphead,” you cannot jump straight to where you died to try again.     

Verdict: 7.5/10

Insane boss gun packs major guns. It’s gun’s gots guns in the game, “Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition.”

A last hurrah to the cult-classic, guns blazin’ and silly game franchise, “Enter the Gungeon: Deluxe Edition” physical bundle marks the end of its journey. With the addition of local co-op, a shotgun kin playable skin, physical stickers, Bullet Kin paper-craft, reversible jacket artwork, the downloadable code for the original soundtrack and all of the DLCs — the $29.99 price tag is definitely worth what you get. If you can get through the constant thrill of adorable enemies and bosses armed to the teeth with the possible import issues, it might be a great game to give a chance on a different platform.

Similar games: “Hollow Knight,” “The Binding of Isaac,” “Nuclear Throne,” “Dead Cells,” “Cuphead,” “Crypt of the Necrodancer,” “Slay the Spire” and “Broforce.”

Content Advisory: Rated Teen for mild language, blood, fantasy violence and use of tobacco. 

Trigger warning: With the controversies relating video game violence and the recent tragedies in Dayton and El Paso, players should understand that the theme of this game is overall firearms and shooting enemies shaped as firearms with use of firearms. To some, the exposure to this theme can be triggering, although everything is in lo-fi graphics and comes with a chibi-like look that may be less upsetting for some players.

Platforms: The Deluxe Edition discussed in this review was made for the Nintendo Switch as only a physical cartridge. It is not available for digital on the Nintendo Switch, except for the DLC “A Farewell to Arms.” However, you may find the standard edition and purchase DLCs on other platforms digitally including the PS4, Xbox One and PC through Steam or other sites.

@GamaRayzChannel