Dine or Dash: Tres Hombres Mexican Grill & Cantina

Heart-Warming and Belly-Filling Mexican Meals for Almost 40 Years

Every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday at Tres Hombres Mexican Grill & Cantina (Courtesy Tres Hombres)

By Palak Jayswal, Arts Editor

On one of the corners of the ever-stretching Highland Drive, there are three friends in cowboy hats who are the subject of a restaurant’s sign — alerting passersby and hungry patrons of its presence. Inside Tres Hombres Mexican Grill & Cantina, the fun only continues. Some may find the decorations overwhelming, what with the flowing greenery everywhere. From there, it only gets better. Each piece of decor is chosen specifically, from the way the tables are structured to the plastic string of chiles that accompany each of the booths. The bar, on the far end of the restaurant, is illuminated by similar neon signs like the one that welcomes patrons. 

While the inside is a feast for the eyes itself, it pales in comparison to the quality of the mouth-watering, tummy-aching good food. 

The Ingredients

Margaritas are a staple at Tres Hombres (Courtesy Tres Hombres)

Tres Hombres has been serving authentic Mexican food in Utah since 1984, and while some may expect a restaurant to lose some of its key functionality after nearly 40 years in business, Tres Hombres continues to serve good food and a good time to its patrons. Besides housing the largest tequila selection in Utah, showcasing local Salt Lake City vendors and using eco-friendly items in the restaurant (80% of the wood within was recycled),  Tres Hombres boasts an overflowing menu full of Mexican favorites. There is not a single plate on the menu where you can go wrong, from the starter of chips and salsa (the best chips and salsa you will ever have) to the more traditional plates like carnitas, enchiladas and more. Each of the entree plates, depending on your choice, is accompanied with rice and beans (with no usage of lard, ever). Even for those with stomachs on the more sensitive side, there are menu options that are gluten-free and vegetarian as well. 

Good food and good company go hand in hand to make memorable experiences, and Tres Hombres provides the perfect setting for it all. What makes patrons go back to eat somewhere? Good service, good food, great prices — sure, they all contribute in one way or another. But to find a restaurant that has all of that and more? Priceless. Tres Hombres has been the home for many memories, personally. Whether it’s to celebrate my high school graduation, my birthday every year or simply for some good Mexican food — I find myself at this hidden gem of an establishment at least twice a month, if not more. 

Tres Hombres is like an old friendship — you can pick up exactly where you left off and have a fantastic time, guaranteed. 

The Verdict 

If my review so far isn’t clear enough, this is a dine. There is so much to try at Tres Hombres. However, for college students, it can be a bit on the pricey side. My suggestion to combat the cost and enjoy the food is to try their lunch menu options. It is worth the splurge in my opinion, especially because the portions are huge (booyah leftovers). For those looking for true Mexican food that not only hits the spot, but feeds the soul — Tres Hombres is waiting for you. 

5/5 stars: I will be going again. 

Recommendation: Pollo Asada. This dish is a symphony. The grill marks in the chicken are so deep, just looking at them lets you know it’s going to be good. The work of art is accompanied with rice, beans, pico and a single cheese enchilada as well. Make sure you savor every bite. 

Tres Hombres is located at 3298 S Highland Dr., Salt Lake City, UT.

Their menu is available on their website and they have online ordering as well. You can also order delivery through Grubhub. 

@palak_jayswal