Utah Track and Field Set for Three Meets in One Weekend

University of Utah junior hurdler Brooke Martin started out of the blocks during the Women’s 400 Meter Hurdles in an NCAA Track and Field meet at the McCarthey Family Track and Field Complex in Salt Lake City on Saturday April 13, 2019.(Photo by Curtis Lin | Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Ryker Jackson, Sports Writer

The University of Utah  Track and Field team will have a jampacked week ahead with three meets spanning different areas of the country. Feb. 13 and 14 is the Don Kirby Classic in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The University of Washington Husky Classic will be held Feb. 14 and 15 in Seattle, and the Weber State Invitational is also scheduled on Feb. 15 in Ogden.

First, the Utes will travel to the Albuquerque Convention Center to take on the New Mexico Lobos. The Lobos, much like the Utes, have been having a successful year and will be a tough matchup for the Utes along with the other teams present.

The Husky Invite is special for a few reasons. The Bowerman Track Club, a Nike-sponsored group with both recreational runners and Olympic hopefuls, will be attending the meet. Kate Grace is one such Olympian. She will be running in the 800 meter and the 1 mile.

Many teams will travel to Dempsey Arena this week, some having full squads and some with just a few select athletes. These schools include Arizona, Boise State, BYU, California, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Idaho, Oregon State, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle Pacific, SUU, UCLA, USU, Washington State and Western Washington.

To top off their busy week, the Utes will head to the Weber State Invitational in Ogden to face in-state competitor Weber State among others. The Invitational will be held in the Stromberg Arena, and the throwing events and long jumps will be held at the Marquardt Fieldhouse. The majority of the women’s events will take place on Feb. 15.

Following their incredible success in the last few meets, the Utes are looking forward to improving upon their overall record and personal scores. The Utes have been on a consistent upward trend that they hope to continue moving forward with, but the competition is getting more difficult. With any luck, the Utes will be able to come out of this week stronger than ever.

@rykerjackson97