Hargis: Purity, Repression and the Brigham Young Virginity Club

This page is an excellent case study of how language and content can be skewed to assert that one lifestyle is the right one, and all others lead to damnation.
Sophie Felici
(Design By Sophie Felici | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

I’m not from Utah originally. Even before I moved, rumors spread abound about the religiosity of the place. I heard that people were shameless with their worship, often pushing it onto others. That the men were self-righteous, and the women were uptight. As a middle schooler, I wasn’t too sure about these rumors — I thought they would be patently untrue. Per my expectation, my lived experience did not live up to them.

Something I have noticed about the religious community since living here is the ever-present feeling of restraint. Women in particular practice a certain type of shame-related repression that I have never encountered anywhere else, and it is harmful. I wasn’t sure why repression and chastity existed in such a way in young people until I came across the Brigham Young Virginity Club Instagram account. The sense of shame and guilt immediately made sense.

The content of this Instagram page is shocking and deserves our attention. It’s never been explicitly stated whether the account is satire, and its over-the-top promotion of virginity so closely mimics church messaging that many are unable to tell for themselves. The aggressive, political content of the Brigham Young Virginity club’s Instagram page clearly shows that it’s not a page about virtue-signaling but instead promotes repression.

Strong Language

The Instagram account is an amalgamation of text-only posts made up of three colors — it’s a simple, easy-to-read page that attracts its users through minimalism and punchy headlines. But when you read those headlines, you’re struck by how aggressive and divisive the language is. The group’s main claim is that those who choose chastity and remain virgins before marriage are a “marginalized group of society.”

The page is made up of helpful tips on staying chaste and what to do if you’re called out for your ‘virginity’ — yet it also bashes those who do not choose it. One of the posts instructing what to say if someone laughs at you reads: “Good one. I can laugh about myself, too. I’m sure I’ll have a good laugh when you die alone and go to Hell.”

Aggressive language like this is common on this page — there are posts calling people sinners and claiming those who don’t live ‘purely’ will end up in Hell. It makes its message abundantly clear: virginity is marginalized and hated, even though it’s the only way to live. Instead of boasting about empowerment and support to those who choose to follow a chaste lifestyle, the account uses harsh language to criticize everyone else. It uses comparison as a weapon for the repression of ‘purity’ by saying those who are not chaste deserve to live bad lives.

The page talks a lot about “haters” and those who try to bring it down. There’s also a recent post claiming that “Satan’s forces” tried to bring it down when it was subject to a hacking attempt. Its defensiveness only adds to the blatant aggression.

The LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. (Photo by Sophie Felici | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Politicizing Private Matters

The page has a nasty habit of sensationalizing sex habits. “Pride is a sin,” reads the account, “but there is nothing prideful about representing your virginity. By letting others know you practice abstinence, you will lead them by example. Our movement needs evangelism, not secretism. Wear your purity on your sleeve.” This statement is gross and of bad practice. No one should feel obligated — or entitled — to shout their sexual status from the rooftops.

The page itself further tries to politicize virginity — it makes several attempts to turn virginal stigma into a social and political issue without much success. Its latest post reads: “Virginity is inherently political in our polarized capitalist society where religion is under attack and politicians have abandoned moral governance/policy.” Virginity is not political and not under attack from politicians — it’s not even a valid marker of ‘purity.’ It’s a religious pseudoscience that holds no relevance to a modern lifestyle.

Lack of Legitimacy

Whether this page is an attention-seeker looking for hate clicks is unclear. To many, it seems to really stand behind what it’s saying, even if it’s bizarre and outrageous. The comments find the page humorous, regardless of whether the page takes itself seriously.

When I reached out to the page to express interest and ask some questions, I received nothing but radio silence as a response. This indicates to me that this page understands its status as unbelievable. It knows that it spreads repression and aggression rather than actual solutions and empowerment. And yet this page maintains itself, despite its lack of credibility.

This page is an excellent case study of how language and content can be skewed to assert that one lifestyle is the right one, and all others lead to damnation. Although this particular page might be a laughingstock, it’s a clear indication that purity culture and all its nastiness are still prevalent in religious communities.

@harperlhargis

Harper Hargis
Harper Hargis, Opinion Writer
Harper Hargis is currently studying writing & rhetoric. She grew up in Washington and spends most of her time daydreaming about the Pacific Northwest.
Sophie Felici
Sophie Felici, Photographer
Sophie began as a photographer for the chronicle in 2022 and is pursuing her degree in documentary production. She is excited to start a career in the outdoors through film and photography.

• P

PeggyAug 25, 2023 at 7:20 pm

The author mentions attempting to contact the Instagram account, but says nothing about reaching out to BYU. If you’re writing about club that claims to be made up of BYU students wouldn’t you at least try to reach out and see if anyone affiliated with the university knows anything about it?

• P

PaulAug 25, 2023 at 11:40 am

I came to type “Ate the onion!” I thought it hilarious that anyone would fall for the obvious and talented satire written by the geniuses behind the BYU Virginity Club. However, I realized that to someone who did not grow up in this culture, the subtleties of the satire may be lost.

I myself am an active member of the church. I grew up hearing local church leaders say “wear your CTR rings to show others what you stand for.” I heard phrases like “Democrats are next to satanists,” and “remember to look pretty, but not too pretty!” The issue is that if you haven’t experienced these bona fide maxims from an old lady or old man, it’s hard to understand. BYU Virginity Club takes an ideal and distorts it ad absurdum to reveal something about it.

I feel like the author of this piece had good points to make, but just chose the wrong target. The author and BYU Virginity Club are on the same “side,” but the author just hasn’t realized it. One example that the author chose is particularly telling. “…Our movement needs evangelism, not secretism. Wear your purity on your sleeve.” Unlike the interpretation of an overt elitism from the author, this calls to my mind a different ideal. “Wear your purity on your sleeve,” proceeded by the words movement, evangelism, and secretism calls to the mind nazis in WWII Germany. The author of this brilliant satire is telling their readers that “If you actually believe what I am saying, you are akin to a nazi, get over yourself.”

No, I don’t believe that Mormons are Nazis. I don’t think that virginity is a status or class. I DO think that ideals can be taken to an extreme to hurt and harm. I agree with people that decide that having sex before marriage is wrong. I also agree with people that decide that having sex before marriage is, and you’ll pardon my joke, oh so right.

That is what the BYU Viriginity club is doing. The person gets to decide that. BYU Virginity Club’s target audience is the extreme of that first group. Those who take their personal ideal to the point of harming others. They are trying to make a difference to members of the church by drawing attention to the harm that they can cause by declaring their superiority over others. But most of all, they also are trying to poke fun at virgins like me too.

• B

BlakeAug 23, 2023 at 11:27 am

The reporting on this is fairly under-researched and biased. However, I understand that it is an opinion piece. The Instagram account states that it is not affiliated with Brigham Young University. Other similar satirical accounts exist for other schools. Just google “Notre Dame Virginity Club” and a similar Instagram page comes up that states that it is not affiliated with the University of Notre Dame. It’s too bad that this article uses photos and ideas from one writer to spread the message that BYU itself is pushing this culture. There is literally a picture of LaVell Edwards Stadium in the article, which is only connected to this Club because they both share the name Brigham Young in their title. Connecting these two together is poor reporting and a misrepresentation of what Brigham Young University stands for and the standards that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints choose to live.

However, I will say that as a reader, I appreciate your outside opinion and experience on the ties between Utah and the pervading religious culture. I feel that is very valuable to general understanding and sympathy for those from outside Utah. I would ask for better evidence than this obscure Instagram page.

• Z

Zach CAug 23, 2023 at 9:06 am

That account is satire of the religious right/purity culture…

• J

jack gambassiAug 22, 2023 at 10:41 pm

I always thought of this page as satirical and meant to be a caricature of extremely religious positions. Though I could be wrong.