Twilight Concert Series Show Five: Soccer Mommy

Soft-spoken and incredibly talented, Sophie Allison and her bandmates, also known as Soccer Mommy took over just as the sun began to set.
Sophie Allison, lead singer of indie rock band Soccer Mommy (Courtesy of Soccer Mommy)

This summer, the 36th Twilight Concert Series is bringing six consecutive weeks of indie and alternative musicians to the Gallivan Center in Downtown Salt Lake City. Sponsored by the Salt Lake City Arts Council and S&S Presents, the summer concerts with incredibly affordable ticket prices bring together music lovers from across the valley.

Last week’s show, headlined by Nashville band Soccer Mommy, marked the second to last Twilight Concert of the summer, and it was not a night to miss.

A bevy of food trucks and plenty of options for drinks make the Twilight series perfect for an entire night out with friends, family or a new date. In my experience, the concerts are also the perfect place for summer fashion inspo–maxi denim skirts, perfectly fitted band tees, edgy mullet shags and trendy sneakers are everywhere.

Blue Rain Boots and Bratty

Before Soccer Mommy took the stage, two openers, one all the way from Mexico and one from right in town, got the crowd moving early in the night. One of the great aspects of the Twilight Concert Series is its emphasis on showcasing local music alongside national acts. Blue Rain Boots is a small band from the area with a handful of singles available on Spotify. They started the night out with their lo-fi, indie rock sound.

Bratty is a bedroom band from Sinaloa, Mexico led by lead singer Jenny Juárez. The band has built a cult following in Mexico and the States. Their soft, dreamy music spoke to everyone in the audience, even those who don’t speak Spanish.

Soccer Mommy

Soft-spoken and incredibly talented, Sophie Allison and her bandmates, also known as Soccer Mommy took over just as the sun began to set. Allison’s stage presence between songs was limited, she talked a bit with the crowd about good Thai food as she tuned her multitude of guitars but was sort of shy in an endearing way. But the second she began performing, her sheer talent became undeniable.

The crowd surrounding the small stage had multiplied by this time in the evening, and figures populated the windows of nearby buildings. Anyone on the block could hear (and likely see) the performances at the Gallivan Center, but the best spot was up close and personal, right behind the barricade, where you could see the band members’ concentration as they performed.

Soccer Mommy performed quite a few of their most popular songs, including “Circle the Drain” and “Yellow is the Color of Her Eyes.” As well as their cover of “Soak Up the Sun” by Sheryl Crow. Though it was getting late by the time the band wrapped up, everyone in the crowd pleaded for an encore that was graciously granted, and we all danced in the multi-colored stage lights before walking back to our cars sore from standing, swaying and jumping for hours on end.

Be sure not to miss the last show in the Twilight Concert Series lineup this summer. Rina Sawayama will be headlining on Friday, Sept. 22.

@ed_edd_n_edie