U Gymnastics Coach Tom Farden Under Investigation for Emotional Abuse Allegations

The U is expecting a final report in the coming weeks.
Xiangyao Tang
Utah Red Rocks’ head coach Tom Farden in the meet versus LSU Tigers at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Jan. 6, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah gymnastics coach Tom Farden has been accused of emotional and verbal abuse by several former U gymnasts and parents. The U has ordered an investigation into the gymnastics program and Farden. 

As reported by Deseret News, Farden’s alleged abuse includes verbal degradation, isolating gymnasts from family, including those under 18, lack of concern or interest in gymnasts’ physical or emotional health and physically intimidating the team by throwing objects or forcefully handling equipment. 

The U has enlisted Kansas City-based law firm Husch Blackwell to conduct the independent investigation. They will interview former and current gymnasts as well as parents and staff members. 

In an email response, Christopher Nelson, a spokesperson for the university, said he would not provide additional comment until the U had reviewed the final report. 

A statement from the U said the well-being and safety of student-athletes was of the “utmost importance.” 

“After learning of concerns within our gymnastics program, the university ordered an outside independent review of the program,” the statement read. “The review began in July, and the university expects to receive a final report in the coming weeks.”

In an email statement, Mady White, associate director of communications for gymnastics, said Husch Blackwell has interviewed every current gymnast willing to participate in the investigation. 

“The report from that review will be shared publicly after it has been made available to the university,” she said. 

White added they expect the views of the current gymnasts to remain anonymous in the public report. 

Harrison Wilson contributed to this story.

@vanessamwrites

Utah Red Rocks competes at the 2023 NCAA Women’s National Collegiate Gymnastics Championships at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, TX, on April 13, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Vanessa Hudson
Vanessa Hudson, Assistant News Editor
Vanessa is from Grand Junction, Colorado. She's a junior majoring in communication with an emphasis in journalism and minoring in modern dance and political science. She is passionate about what she reports on, and she usually winds up writing about local politics and issues. When Vanessa isn't writing, you can find her trying out some new choreography, listening to public radio or watching Marvel and Star Wars movies.
Xiangyao Tang
Xiangyao Tang, Photo Director
Axe is a photographer and the photo director of the Daily Utah Chronicle. He is from China and is a senior majoring in computer science and minoring in digital photography. Axe joined the Chronicle in August of 2021. In addition to his position at the Chrony, he is also a photo intern for University of Utah Athletics. When he's not writing code, you will find him rock climbing, camping, skiing or hiking with his camera.

• R

Richard HubbleOct 23, 2023 at 12:40 pm

He was cruel to his student.

• P

Patrick StewartAug 30, 2023 at 9:41 am

I am not surprised to hear this. I hope his career is over.