Arts Bash: A Party to Celebrate the Arts

A grand celebration to encourage students to explore the arts in its various forms. 
Arts Bash (Courtesy of finearts.utah.edu)

As students are populating campus once again for a new school year, events are happening all over campus to welcome them back. From Crimson Nights to the Get Involved Fair, students have a variety of opportunities to engage with the university. One such event is Arts Bash, a grand celebration to encourage students to explore the arts in its various forms. 

Arts Bash 2023

Arts Bash returned to campus on Aug. 30 to celebrate the arts with booths, live performances, free swag and activities. Students could snag a passport from any table at the event. They also could score a free Arts Pass t-shirt by collecting stamps from the different booths.

Activities like tie-dyeing shirts at the Art and Art History booth and making friendship bracelets with the Department of Theatre let students interact with the arts hands-on. Live performances from the Michie Jazz Quintet, Department of Theatre and School of Music provided captivating entertainment. Student films were also shown from the Department of Film & Media Arts. Additionally, free nachos and drinks were provided for students to grab a bite while exploring what the arts have to offer.

The entire Arts Bash experience was highly interactive. It felt like a quest to collect the stamps from each booth on the passport. By the end, the passport looked like a piece of art itself. A colorful, chaotic collection of stamps representing a fun time at Arts Bash. 

Attending University of Utah organizations included all five academic units of the College of Fine Arts, along with the Arts Education department and ArtsForce. UtahPresents, Pioneer Theatre Company and the Utah Museum of Fine Arts had booths and were ready to share plenty of information regarding their upcoming shows and exhibitions. The Red Butte Garden, Union Programming Council, Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute and Marriott Library completed the Arts Bash lineup to result in an excellent celebration.  

A Passport to the Arts

A completed Arts Bash passport | (Photo by Grier Abercrombie | The Daily Utah Chronicle )

Arts Pass allows students to experience a variety of arts events, either for free or at heavily discounted prices. Students can use their UCard to access performances, exhibitions, concerts, screenings and more.

Students are already paying to experience the arts with the fine arts fee in their tuition. They are encouraged to take advantage of their Arts Pass, instead of letting that money go to waste. 

What’s so nice about the arts is that there are many means by which someone can engage. Creativity takes various forms, and Arts Bash showcases this. Organizations and departments gather to share how students can find a way to be involved with the arts in their own unique way.

Students are heavily encouraged to interact with the arts because exposure to the arts is linked with “better critical thinking skills, greater social tolerance, a greater likelihood of seeking out art and culture in the future and better workforce opportunities.”

Through dance, film, acting, music and more, Arts Bash shows that the arts are ready to be explored by the students and their Arts Passes. 

@grieraberchrony