U Theatre’s “The Lightning Thief”: A Light and Airy Production of A Gen Z Classic

This expressive production of “The Lightning Thief” will have you humming each musical number tune well after you exit the Babcock Theater.
Poster+for+The+Lightning+Thief.+%28Courtesy+of+the+University+of+Utah+Department+of+Theatre%29+
Poster for “The Lightning Thief.” (Courtesy of the University of Utah Department of Theatre)

Did you ever pour over the “Percy Jackson” series in elementary and middle school, devouring each new book as they came out? Did you hold a particular affinity for Greek mythology or feel like an outcast? Well, the University of Utah Department of Theatre has put on an expressive production of “The Lightning Thief” that will have you humming each musical number tune well after you exit the Babcock Theater.

Campy Half-Blood Fun 

The production starts with an introduction by two charismatic Camp Half-Blood campers riling the audience up. From there, everything is a whirlwind of hero quests and campy teenage dysfunction. 

The musical numbers particularly stand out. They are played by a live band in the background of the set, which adds an extra sense of immersion to the standout performances of the cast members. The soundtrack is modern, poppy and full of energy, contributing a breakneck energy to the entire performance. 

Each cast member stood out in unique ways, but let’s start with the leading man. Tim Feroah (Percy Jackson) carries the energy of the titular young and troubled son of Poseidon with a grounded charisma. Jacob Sen (Grover) exudes a childlike sidekick energy that is entertaining to watch. His costume design was a standout, though his role felt overshadowed by the sheer amount of busyness on stage. 

Sophia Campagna (Annabeth Chase) was wonderful as the also overshadowed daughter of Athena. The truncated adaptive nature of the show left me wanting more development of her character beyond just being the love interest. So much seemed streamlined for the sake of time that much of the meat of the original story was left out. 

Another standout included Tori Kenton (Clarisse) as the daughter of Ares, her voice being among the best in the cast. Her pomp and tenacity in both singing, acting and stage combat in this role is truly unmatched. Each facet showed an unabashed theatrical talent.

Engrossing Costumes and Props Galore

Perhaps most impressive about this production was the costume and prop design. The level of creativity exhibited through “The Lightning Thief’s” costumes and props was marvelous. Without them, this production would have no legs to gallop into the audience’s hearts. 

For example, one of the opening scenes uses modified umbrella mechanisms to create the wings of a harpy. In another, Grover wears furry goat pants with hoofed shoes for his satyr appearance. Chiron, the centaur camp counselor, has the back half of a horse on wheels strapped around his chest with leather. Even a cyclops is shown in the background with someone holding a pole connecting to its head. Another person wears gloves connected to giant jointed grey hands that are a wonder to behold. 

The ingenuity in the prop and costume design of “The Lightning Thief” is unmatched for a college theater production. 

A Mythological Romp For All Ages

If you want to escape for an evening, check out “The Lightning Thief” at the Babcock Theatre. Reconnect with your inner childlike wonder and prepare to smile ear to ear as you go.

U students get a free ticket and an extra for five dollars with their U Card with Arts Pass. It might just inspire you to slay your own metaphorical monsters on campus and beyond. 

@arlo_marler