Utah Volleyball Splits Weekend Doubleheader in Los Angeles

The Utes will need the momentum to carry over into this upcoming weekend, as they have both the Oregon State Beavers and No. 6 Oregon Ducks coming into town.
Xiangyao Tang
The University of Utah women’s volleyball celebrates after a point against the BYU Cougars at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Sept. 15, 2022. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah volleyball team (7-7, 2-2 Pac-12) traveled to Los Angeles this past weekend for a two game set. After losing a nailbiter to USC on Friday, they bounced back with a resounding win at UCLA on Sunday — marking their first road victory of the season.

The weekend started with a Friday night game against the USC Trojans at the Galen Center. After a back and forth beginning to the first set, the Utes went on a tear. With the score even at 4-4, Utah got hot and went on an 8-1 run. Kamry Bailey recorded three kills during this stretch. She ended up with five total in the set. The Utes held their lead without much threat from the Trojans and took the first set.

After USC tied the game by winning the second set, the Utes rebounded in set three. Utah jumped out to a 10-4 lead to open the set. Although USC fought back, Utah was able to respond each time the Trojans cut into the lead. Lauren Jardine recorded four kills in the set to lead the way for the Utes. Emrie Satuala picked up three as well, all in the latter part of the set. The Utes won set three 25-18 and grabbed a 2-1 lead overall.

Neither team could separate much at the beginning of set four, but USC grabbed control with an 8-0 run that built their lead to 23-14. They finished off the set rather quickly after that and forced a decisive fifth set. The Utes couldn’t snatch the momentum back in set five, as USC jumped out to a 6-2 lead and picked up the 3-2 victory over Utah. Viktoria Wahlgren recorded 37 assists and 12 digs in a remarkable effort.

Utah rebounded from the tough loss and picked up a convincing win against the UCLA Bruins on Sunday afternoon. Both teams took turns going on runs in the first set. After Utah built a 4-1 lead, UCLA responded with five points in a row. The Utes then scored five of the next six, anchored by two kills from Amelia Van Der Werff. Utah kept control of the set the rest of the way and won 25-17. Van Der Werff finished the set with five kills. Kamry Bailey recorded four kills as well.

Utah carried the momentum into the second set and got off to a scorching start. Utah built a 12-2 lead, at one point leading 7-0. UCLA kept fighting and made things somewhat interesting, but never really threatened the Utes lead. After they trimmed the lead down to 17-12, Utah responded with a 7-2 run that featured three more kills from Bailey. This helped Utah finish off the set by a score of 25-18.

Set three followed a somewhat similar script. The Utes built a lead early and withstood some UCLA runs. Satuala got three kills in a row to put the Utes ahead 6-4 early. She then picked up three more in a row which made the score 12-6 Utes. These six kills were crucial in Utah winning the third set. With the score at 23-20 Utes, Van Der Werff and Bailey both got kills to complete the 3-0 sweep of the Bruins.

The win was a great moment for Utah, who had been struggling on the road up to this point. It was their fourth sweep of the season. The Utes will need the momentum to carry over into this upcoming weekend, as they have both the Oregon State Beavers and No. 6 Oregon Ducks coming into town on Oct. 6 and 8. Both games will be played at the Huntsman Center, so be sure to support our Utes as they continue Pac-12 play. 

@i_dunaway