A Bewitching Night With Laufey

The night of Oct. 17, The Depot was filled with fans of Laufey ready for a bewitching night of love songs.
A Polaroid of Laufey at the Salt Lake City Show (Courtesy @laufey on Instagram)

Following the release of her latest (and most popular) album, “Bewitched,” singer-songwriter Laufey kicked off the sold-out “The Bewitched Tour” in early October. As she makes her way across the U.S., Laufey made a stop at the Depot in downtown Salt Lake City on Oct. 17. With enchanting songs and a relatable personality, Laufey made the concert a night to remember.

Love and Laufey

The night of Oct. 17, the Depot was filled with fans of Laufey ready for a bewitching night of love songs

Opening for Laufey was Adam Melchor, whose 2021 single “Love Flew Away” featured Laufey. Melchor’s witty anecdotes and powerful vocals won the crowd over. He played several songs from his latest EP, “FRUITLAND,” as well as some fan favorites, such as “Real Estate” and “Moon in the Morning.” Melchor was a wonderful choice to accompany Laufey on her tour. His love songs pair beautifully with Laufey’s discography.

Shortly following Melchor’s set, Laufey appeared on stage to deafening cheers and applause. Her setlist included songs from both “Bewitched” and her first album, “Everything I Know About Love.” Songs like “Lovesick” and “Dreamer” had her waltzing across stage and acting out their lyrics. Others, such as “Haunted” and “California and Me” showed the more melancholic side of her work. She showcased her musical talent as she easily transitioned from the mic stand with her guitar, to the cello and to the piano.

Between songs, Laufey would share the stories that inspired their creations, whether it was about falling in love with a “Beautiful Stranger” on public transportation, or about all of her friends being in relationships, making her feel like she was “Falling Behind.” The concert showcased her personality and charm, as she shared things like, “Once you get to know me very well, you’ll find that I don’t have the ability to shut up.”

She ended the night with an encore performance of a surprise song. Due to her limited (for now) discography, she explained that she would cover songs as well. Because of this, she first referenced a joke that describes herself as “an un-depressed version of this singer,” and then played Mitski’s “My Love Mine All Mine,” much to the overwhelming excitement of the audience.

A Rising Star

“Bewitched” has marked Laufey as an artist to watch. As her most successful release yet, it had the biggest debut for a jazz album on Spotify, impressively surpassing Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett’s “Love for Sale.”

From the Start,” a track on “Bewitched,” garnered popularity on TikTok and essentially exploded Laufey’s fanbase as Gen Z fell in love with the song and its artist. Variety also marked Laufey’s growing success by naming her as a contender for Album of the Year at the Grammys. While the Grammys have been gradually declining in viewership, winning a Grammy is still a great success in one’s musical career.

Dreamers and Lovers

Laufey’s discography has been carefully crafted to curate an audience of dreamers and lovers. Her songs are relatable. They’re for any situation that pertains to growing up, finding and losing love and being yourself — all packaged into jazz-infused pop.

Laufey is certainly cementing herself as a personable, genuine artist. She posses the talent to convey the beauty and hardships of being human.

@grieraberchrony