November Arts Desk Recommendations

Check out these great pieces of art hand-picked by the Chronicle’s Arts Desk.
Mary Allen
(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

We at the Arts Desk love good media. This is the start of a more casual monthly piece to recommend the art that has been connecting with us. We hope you enjoy them as much as we have!

Films

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Nothing hits on a chilly fall day like a few notes from John Williams’Hedwig’s Theme” as the Warner Brothers logo floats in the clouds. For the third Potter film, director Alfonso Cuarón brought a newfound artistic flair to the series, with a constantly moving camera, inventive shots of mirrors and sweeping shots of the Scottish countryside. Director of Photography Michael Seresin employed moodier lighting and darker color tones that complement the movie’s more suspenseful tone. The cast, Daniel Radcliffe especially, were given the chance to mature with the heavier subject material. The story itself is more mature as well and it all comes together for a straightforward and cozy film. 

— Andre

TV

Till Murder Do Us Part

Releasing Nov. 1 on Netflix, this docuseries focuses on the case of Jens Söring and a double murder that has gone unsolved since 1985. True crime is one of the most popular genres of TV and podcasts as of late. A feature on this series would be interesting, especially due to the fact that there is essentially extra evidence on the scene that points to two unknown men that — as far as I’m aware — have yet to be identified. There is also room for opinions to make their way into this piece, as Jens Söring did end up going to jail for the double murder of his girlfriend’s parents and was only recently granted parole. I personally am excited to dig into the case.

— Audrey

Albums

Thrill of the Arts” — Vulfpeck

Funk is unfortunately an understated and forgotten genre in our day and age. Thankfully, this 2015 album from Vulfpeck is here to scratch that undeniable funky itch we all have. It’s a healthy mix of powerful vocals, bounce keys, and bass that can only be described as stanky. You may be familiar with the track “Back Pocket,” but this album has so much more to offer. It’s an incredible joy to listen to and always ends too soon. Roll down those windows, let the cool November air in and blast this album, warming the earth with the power of funk.

— Luke

GÉNISIS” — Peso Pluma

Growing up in a Latin household, there were many music genres that my mom would listen to, such as cumbia, urban Latin, bachata etc. Although, I was never a fan of Latin country music. It wasn’t until recently that I became obsessed with Mexican artist Peso Pluma and his album “GÉNISIS.” His music is a Sinaloa-style genre mixed with urban Latin which makes his voice and music quite addicting. “Rosa Pastel,” “Luna” and “Lady Gaga” have been on repeat. Listening to Peso Pluma has made me appreciate the art and history of country Latin music. I would recommend listening to Peso Pluma even if you don’t understand Spanish — so worth it!

— Eliza

The Loveliest Time” — Carly Rae Jepsen

Carly Rae Jepsen has spent the last few years exploring a new sound. This album is a great representation of that. The album is fun and synthy. Each song has its own funky, electric pop sound. I especially like the songs “Psychedelic Switch” and “Kollage.” For a high-energy collection of music to dance to, this album is the place to look. It’s experimental, highly produced and a culmination of this new era of music Jepsen’s been leaning into. It has a fresh sound that I haven’t heard much of in this year’s new music.

— Josi

Artists

Unflirt

From time to time, I’ll check out Spotify’s Discover Weekly playlist that’s curated each week for every Spotify user. I don’t usually expect to discover any artists or songs that I’ll love. Yet, my expectations proved wrong with a single listen of “Crush” by Unflirt. Since that first listen, I’ve fallen in love with all of Unflirt’s songs (well, all eight of them). Her dreamy sound and lyrical expression of love and longing made it easy for her to become my top Spotify artist. I definitely recommend her to anyone who likes beabadoobee, whom she shares a similar sound with.

— Grier

Video Games

Kentucky Route Zero” by Cardboard Computer

Few games have felt like they have transcended the medium altogether. Kentucky Route Zero is one such game. You play a character named Conway. He needs to deliver a price of furniture to an address that can only be reached by a highway called Route Zero. This highway seems to exist outside of space and time. This magical realist game is a mix somewhere between a David Lynch movie and a surrealist novel. The game itself is dialogue-heavy, set against the backdrop of beautiful set pieces. It will absolutely blow your mind if you play it.

— Arlo

Podcasts

“We’re Here to Help”

Biweekly I have had the joy of listening to new episodes of “We’re Here to Help.” The podcast is hosted by Jake Johnson and Gareth Reynolds, who give callers advice to solve their unique problems. The issues are always hilariously outrageous and the advice the hosts share is typically just as absurd. It often feels like we’re getting a peak into the secret struggles of strangers as callers use pseudonyms to hide their identities. I’ve found myself on multiple occasions holding in hysterical laughter as I listened to the pod at my quiet desk job. It’s the perfect entertainment for anyone looking to brighten their day.

— Graham

Books

The Troop” by Nick Cutter

November is a time for hunger, being around those you love and going out and seeing the beauties of nature. Nothing screams all of the above more than “The Troop” by Nick Cutter. This novel is about a Boy Scout troop and their scoutmaster getting trapped on an island in the Canadian wilderness with a man with an insatiable appetite. No, it isn’t a story about cannibals, but about something much more sinister, involving immoral science experiments, worms and just how teenage boys really don’t know how to survive when trapped together. It is very “Lord of the Flies” meets David Cronenberg. Do not read this if you are easily grossed out. If you are at all scared of worms, this is not the book for you. But, if you want a fantastically disgusting coming-of-age adjacent story, then check out “The Troop.”

— Ethan