The School of Dance Presents Balanchine’s ‘Serenade’

The upcoming ‘Serenade’ production will be the first Balanchine piece produced by the U in 7 years.
Luke Isley
George Balanchine’s “Serenade,” which the University of Utah School of Dance will present in spring 2024. (Courtesy of Luke Isley)

In spring 2024, the University of Utah School of Dance will present George Balanchine’s “Serenade.”

‘Serenade’

Created at the School of American Ballet in 1934, “Serenade” was the first piece choreographed by Balanchine in the United States. The piece originally served as a lesson to Balanchine’s students in stage performance. It’s known for some of its choreography being inspired by the rehearsal process for the ballet.

The opening hand is positioned similarly to how dancers blocked the sun when rehearsing. Later in the ballet, a soloist dancer falls to the ground, as a dancer did in rehearsal one day.

Balanchine is considered the father of American ballet. This title was reserved for the Russian choreographer after co-founding the New York City Ballet with Lincoln Kirstein in 1946.

NYCB continues to be the premier ballet company in the U.S. Their repertory includes over 400 Balanchine ballets, as well as pieces by Jerome Robbins, Alexei Ratmansky, Justin Peck and other emerging choreographers.

The Balanchine Trust

To keep Balanchine’s legacy intact, the Balanchine Trust was created in 1987. The Trust regulates the licensing distribution of Balanchine works and protects the integrity of the Balanchine style.

Professional, collegiate and recreational dance programs can apply for rights to perform pieces under the George Balanchine Trust. Rights are awarded on a case-by-case, piece-by-piece basis. The trust requires that the ballet be presented in a well-produced manner and that it be performed by skilled dancers with the correct intention of Balanchine’s pieces. In many cases, a répétiteur travels to the company or school to teach the work correctly. 

Bringing the Ballet to Stage

The U acquired the rights to perform “Serenade” in spring 2023.

“I conducted an anonymous survey of the students last year to assess their preferences,” said Melonie Murray, director of the School of Dance. “Balanchine — and ‘Serenade’ in particular — were the top choice by around 75% of 80+ respondents.” Shortly after, a proposal was sent and approved by the Balanchine Trust.

To prepare for the show, Michele Gifford, a former NYCB dancer and current Balanchine Trust répétiteur, was brought aboard. Gifford will teach master classes at the U, coach rehearsals and help with casting. The licensing fee, répétiteur fee and costume construction are paid for by a University Teaching Grant and a Dee Grant.

The University of Utah Dance Program performed ‘Serenade’ once before in 2013 and another Balanchine piece titled ‘Walpurgisnacht Ballet’ in 2016.

The upcoming “Serenade” production will be the first Balanchine piece produced by the U in seven years. 

“Balanchine’s style is an important part of a ballet dancer’s education,” said Murray. “The experience for our dancers is meaningful for their development as they prepare to enter the profession and is also historically important as part of the development of ballet in the United States.” 

The School of Dance doesn’t currently have faculty specialized in the Balanchine style. As a result, they see the production of “Serenade” foremost as a learning opportunity for the dancers.

“We are approaching this occasion with some panels and talkbacks, featuring our very own Joselli Deans, looking at the history of [Serenade], both positive and problematic,” said Margaret Tesch, a professor at the School of Dance. These panels are to be held during the Spring 2024 semester.

George Balanchine’s “Serenade,” which the University of Utah School of Dance will present in spring 2024. (Courtesy of Luke Isley) (Luke Isley)

Looking Forward

The U Dance Program plans to perform other Balanchine pieces in the future.

“We encompass art making, original works into our student’s experiences so they leave us well equipped to tackle any form of dance with confidence,” said Tesch.

Tesch explained that the U Dance Program values iconic works from many genres. Classical ballet, neoclassical ballet and modern styles are all studied and performed. When arranging programs, the U tends to reach for the classics: they create diversity with new contemporary or modern ballet creations. This differs from other comparative dance programs at schools such as Indiana University, whose School of Dance performs full-length classical ballet programs and mixes Balanchine, Justin Peck ballets and new works on programs regularly.

Auditions for “Serenade” begin in late fall 2023 leading up to rehearsals and shows begin February 2024. Check out their website to view dates and times of upcoming performances and events.

@haleyfreee