Illuminate Light Art + Creative Tech Fest Returns To Salt Lake For A Second Year

The most welcome new addition of the night was an alien-themed drone show, providing crowd-pleasing moments without the pollution that would come with fireworks.
Nature themed artwork projected onto the Salt Lake City and County Building to match its facade at ILLUMINATE Creative Art + Tech Festival on Friday, Nov. 10, 2023. (Photo by Andre Montoya | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Illuminate Light Art + Creative Tech Fest put together by the Utah Arts Alliance took place at Library Square just in front of the City and County Building. The festival occurred from Nov. 10-11 from 5:00-11:00 p.m. However, this year the festival got a head start with Lumen Land which ran Nov. 3-4 from 6:00-10:00 p.m. at the Bees Stadium parking lot with free entry for both events.

A year ago, the festival was the first-of-its-kind outing emphasizing light and art with a bit of Utah’s charm thrown into the mix. Now in its sophomore year, what’s continued and what’s changed?

Expansions And Enhancements

Like the year before, admission was free but there were plenty of local vendors to make up the difference, such as Five Wives Vodka and Red Rock Brewery. Arts and crafts vendors were present as well selling jewelry, bracelets and a slew of light-up accessories. Aside from food trucks, other vehicles present included a therapy bus and a mini arcade inside. 

In addition to Lumen Land, another satellite popup from Dreamscapes featured a piece that first debuted in 2019 called “The Dragon’s Labyrinth” from artist Alice Toler. At the main festival, there was the STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics) Lab, an all-ages learning space designed to emphasize the technology aspect of the festival with interactive activities.

Local J-Pop group Weeb Streets returned to perform, dancing enthusiastically throughout the night despite temperatures reaching near-freezing levels. Other musical acts included live rock music from local artists like Silke and of course, a singing and dancing robot decorated with LED lights.

For a more laid-back experience, the Utah Film Center gathered a collection of silent movies to screen, projected onto the side of The Leonardo building to highlight the creativity of local filmmakers.

Illuminated Installations

Like last year, the singing robot returned, as did the gigantic praying mantis sculpture. As well as the projections onto the face of the City and County buildings with even further improvements to the accuracy of how the light matched with the physical features of the building.

The most welcome new addition of the night was an alien-themed drone show, providing crowd-pleasing moments without the pollution that would come with fireworks. Spectators were treated with trippy visuals and funny scenarios, like a cow being beamed up into the air all perfectly choreographed and synchronized, 400 feet high.

With another, expanded, festival down, it’s safe to say that Illuminate Light Art + Creative Tech Fest will be back next year with some returning exhibits and some new pieces next year.

@apm_andre