U to Host Third and Final 2024 Presidential Debate

The University of Utah will be hosting its second Presidential Debate on Oct. 9, 2024, after hosting the 2020 Vice Presidential Debate.
Camille Rousculp
An advertisement for the 2020 Vice Presidential Debate at the Student Union at the University of Utah campus in Salt Lake City on September 28th 2020. The last 2024 Presidential Debate will also be held at the U. (Photo by Camille Rousculp | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah will host the third and final Presidential Debate of 2024 on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024, at Kingsbury Hall. 

The U was selected by the Commission of Presidential Debates and will host all qualifying candidates for President of the United States.

U President Taylor Randall said the opportunity to host the debate “is a privilege, and we are thrilled to welcome the world back to the University of Utah,” in a press conference on Monday afternoon, according to a press release from the U. 

The U previously hosted the 2020 Vice Presidential Debates, featuring former Vice President Mike Pence and current Vice President Kamala Harris. According to At The U, nearly 60 million viewers tuned in, making it the second most-watched vice presidential debate ever.

Gov. Spencer Cox also spoke at the press conference.

“Ours is a state on the rise, and I’m certain that Utahns will once again exemplify our hospitality and professionalism on both a national and international stage,” he said.

He added after hosting a successful VP Debate and 2002 Olympics, Utah is ready for this “distinct honor.”

According to the press release, no student tuition or fees will be used to fund the event. Instead, the U will pay through private and public donations. It is currently unclear if any legislative funding will be provided.

In addition to Randall and Cox’s support, Senate Leader J. Stuart Adams, House Speaker Mike Schultz and SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall support the U’s hosting of the debate.

Scott Howell, executive committee member for the Utah Debate Commission, called this event a compliment to the state of Utah in an interview with KSL NewsRadio.

“We are thrilled and honored to be able to host such a wonderful opportunity for the world to showcase our great university,” he said. “We love having this at a university which represents the youth of America that we really want to have engaged.”

Further details about the debaters, moderators and events will be provided by the commission as they are decided in 2024.

@LibbeyHNews