Brewvies Cinema Pub: Drinking and Watching Movies is Just Pure Fun

Brewvies Cinema Pub is located right next to Legends Pub & Grill, a favorite location of many throughout the years. The name gives away exactly what it is – a movie theater that serves drinks, a match made in heaven.
Brewvies+Cinema+Pub+in+Salt+Lake+City+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+21%2C+2023.+%28Photo+by+Sophie+Felici+%7C+The+Daily+Utah+Chronicle%29+
Sophie Felici
Brewvies Cinema Pub in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2023. (Photo by Sophie Felici | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Brewvies Cinema Pub is located right next to Legends Pub & Grill, a favorite location of many throughout the years. The name gives away exactly what it is – a movie theater that serves drinks, a match made in heaven. Nothing is better than going to the pub with your mates, except having to watch “The Matrix” on mute. You can pay a little extra to get hammered while watching “Five Nights at Freddy’s” and hear the sound as a bonus.

Sunday Brunch

Brewvies has most of the new releases as they come out and offers an experience very similar to that of a normal cinema. Being able to drink in a movie theater feels so wrong when thinking about it, but when actually experiencing it it feels awesome. Apart from the newest stuff released, they also have frequent special events, from free admission for Sunday Brunch, where they show whatever they feel like. For example, the film for 11/19 is “Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood,” one of the best in the series in my opinion, as it fully goes balls to the wall and has Jason being resurrected by a telekinetic teenager who has to battle him to the death. Every Monday, they do a Film Buff Night, showing whatever they want as well. This mix of special events and new releases is something that is not foreign to most theaters, but Brewvies makes it feel special. Having the Sunday Brunch movies be free admission is awesome, and gives people who aren’t the type to go sit in a nice restaurant and drink expensive mimosas an alternative and one where they can still get sloshed if they desire.

Community

Brewvies provides such a unique service to something that is so often looked down upon in Utah. Having a public space that is more than just a bar that serves drinks is strange here, especially a movie theater that does that. It is nice for people to have the opportunity to get drunk while watching movies with strangers and some of their closest friends. Bars are all about community — something I feel gets overlooked in the movie theater industry. They may try and build a space for their audience through various rewards and incentive programs. However, something about the simplicity of offering alcohol and sticking people in a big room together with a movie playing feels like such a beautiful way to meet new people and make new friends, especially during their Sunday Brunch events. Those seem purposefully like silly little movies where you don’t need to pay attention.

Brewvies is just fun and it doesn’t really try to be more than that. It knows it isn’t a snobby bar or a dive bar. It is very much its own thing. Having the mixture of new releases and random older movies keeps the array constantly fresh, and gives reason for people to come back even when there may not be any interesting movies releasing. Sometimes you want to go to the movies but nothing new catches your eye. That is what Brewvies is for — just a great way to spend an evening.

@EthanBlume07