We’re All About To Lose Our Minds At ‘Saltburn’

See Fennell’s “Saltburn” in theaters now. Don’t get lost in Saltburn.
Saltburn (Courtesy Amazon Prime)

Travel back to 2007

Emerald Fennell, director of 2020s “Promising Young Women,” has a new film out in theaters called “Saltburn.” Premiering at the Telluride Film Festival in August 2023, “Saltburn” quickly garnered attention for its bright visuals and polarizing story.

Saltburn is the family castle of Felix Catton, played by Jacob Elordi, who comes from generations of wealth. After a brief encounter at Oxford University, Oliver Quick, played by Barry Keoghan, finds acceptance and friendship with Catton and his friends. His relationship with Catton’s cousin Farleigh Start, played by Archie Madekwe, stays awkward. The college scenes are very relatable and the beginning montage with voice over by Keoghan will no doubt be popular for years to come.

When it comes time for summer break Catton invites Quick to join him at his home, Saltburn. Quick, who claims to have a tough family life, gladly accepts the invitation.

(Courtesy of Amazon Prime Video)

‘We’re all cold blooded here’

The rest of the film is a gradual spiral and display of unreliable narrator both in the characters and director. Both the characters and the beginning of the film set up the story to place Catton’s family as the bad guys, but this turns out not to be the case. If anything, the Catton family is too normal and not particularly bright — spending nights singing karaoke to “Low” by Flo Rida while dressed in thousand-dollar suits. Upon arrival at Saltburn, things slowly unravel to the sinister.

Speaking of music, “Saltburn” has a great soundtrack. The score by Anthony Willis is beautiful and serves the movie well. Other songs throughout the film are classic 2000s pop songs such as “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers.

Above all else, “Saltburn” is a beautiful and colorful film. The Saltburn Castle is stunning, as are the costumes and set design. Casting was knocked out of the park with this film. Elordi and Keoghan remain ones to watch.

(Courtesy of Out on Film)

Beware the Moth

“Saltburn” was a very well-made film, but at the end of the day, the topics will remain a controversial matter for audiences. I can’t say much about the most interesting part of the film, because that would essentially spoil it all, sadly. In “Saltburn,” morals are tested in psychotic ways and, by the end of the film, not-good things occur. It’s not worth the watch if you can’t sit through those scenes. I don’t think Fennel gives much reason or redeemable qualities for all the bad.

(Courtesy of Amazon Prime)