Utah Women’s Basketball Rebounds with Dominant Victory against Cal

Alissa Pili responded with 18 points after a poor shooting night against Stanford while Inês Vieira stuffed the stat sheet.
Sarah Karr
Utah forward Dasia Young (34) versus the California Golden Bears at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City on Sunday, Jan. 14, 2024. (Photo by Sarah Karr | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The No. 19 University of Utah women’s basketball team (12-5, 2-3 Pac-12) was back in action Sunday afternoon at the Jon M. Huntsman Center. After back-to-back nail biting losses, the Utes got back on track with a 93-56 blowout win over the Cal Golden Bears.

Inês Vieira played one of her best games of the season. Viera scored 19 points on a very efficient 8/11 shooting, also recording five assists, four rebounds and five steals in an all-around effort.

First Half

After the Golden Bears got the first points with a three, the Utes responded with an 8-0 run. Four different Utes scored during this run in what was a great team effort throughout the day. Cal then tied the game 8-8, but Utah finished the quarter on a 10-1 run and led 18-9 after the first quarter. Alissa Pili responded well after a down game against Stanford on Thursday. She picked up six points in the first quarter to make her mark.

The Utes carried the momentum into the second quarter, scoring four quick points from Kennady McQueen and Vieira. The Golden Bears could not keep the Utes out of the paint. Matyson Wilke, Jenna Johnson and Lani White all scored in the paint on three straight possessions to extend Utah’s lead to 31-15 at the six minute mark. After Johnson converted an and-one, Vieira rebounded her own missed three pointer and made her second attempt. The Utes dominated the second quarter, outscoring Cal 29-12 in the period and leading 47-21 at halftime. 

Second Half

Vieira scored the first points in the second half for the Utes. After Dasia Young made a pair of free throws, Pili scored down low on an assist from McQueen to make it 53-30. McQueen nailed a three-pointer and then scored again on the next two possessions, marking 5 of her 14 total points. This was all part of a 9-0 run that really put the game out of reach in the third quarter. Vieira finished off the quarter with a fastbreak score and a pair of free throws, and the Utes led 70-38 after three.

Pili and Johnson were unstoppable in the fourth quarter. Pili scored six points in the quarter and assisted a Johnson layup before being taken out of the game with just under five minutes left. Johnson scored seven points in the quarter and was taken out not long after Pili. Wilke scored Utah’s final points with a three, and the Utes came away with the 93-56 victory.

It was a much needed win for the Utes, who now sit at 12-5 overall and 2-3 in conference play. It is an incredibly competitive year in the Pac-12, which currently has four teams in the AP Poll top ten (UCLA, Colorado, Stanford and USC) and five ranked teams overall, including the Utes. 

Five Utes scored in double figures. Vieira had 19 and Pili had 18 points along with 6 rebounds and 5 assists. McQueen and Johnson each finished the day with 14 points and Young added 11. Reese Ross was tremendous on the glass as well, grabbing 10 rebounds.

The Utes are right back at the Huntsman Center this upcoming weekend, with games on Friday, Jan. 19 against the USC Trojans and Monday, Jan. 22 against the UCLA Bruins. After that, they will head northwest to play Oregon and Oregon State as Pac-12 play continues.

@i_dunaway