Utah Softball Drops Series Against No. 4 Stanford Cardinal

Despite the loss, Utah recorded nine total hits in game one, which is the most Stanford pitcher NiJaree Canady has allowed in a game thus far into the season.
David Chenoweth
University of Utah versus Oregon at the Dumke Family Softball Stadium in Salt Lake City on Friday, March 18, 2022. (Photo by David Chenoweth | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

In a merciless fight against a top-five opponent like the Stanford Cardinal, Utah was able to display impressive resilience and determination as they suffered three straight losses in their trip to California. Though the weekend ended in defeat, multiple Utes had notable performances, with Aliya Belarde and Abby Dayton claiming multiple runs each across all three games of the series.

Game One

With Utah kicking it off at bat in the top of the first, Dayton stepped up to the plate ready to deliver, nailing a single to get the Utes going. The outfielder quickly found home after a double from Kaylah Nelsen, who ran home herself after a single from Sophie Jacquez. Jacquez managed to reach second but was tagged out at third on a fielder’s choice. Stanford made quick progress of their own, managing to fill the bases after two players were allowed to walk. A third walk pushed one player home, scoring a run before the Utes found the third out at the second base. 

The Cards resumed the action in the third when the team claimed three hits, two of which resulted in runs, pushing ahead of Utah at 2-3. However, in the top of the fourth, Utah came through with three hits of their own, including from Belarde and Haley Denning, before a single from Chloe Doyle sent Denning home to tie up the game. On the other side of the fourth, Stanford once again inched ahead of Utah after an opening double at bat. Stanford achieved one final run in the fifth, forcing the Utes to give up the series opener at 3-5. Despite the loss, Utah recorded nine total hits, which is the most Stanford pitcher NiJaree Canady has allowed in a game thus far into the season.

Game Two

Saturday’s game brought one of the lowest-scoring matches the Utes have seen all season, with only three total runs between the two teams. Utah was the one to open up the action again, with a single from Belarde in the top of the first. Singles from Nelsen and Dayton secured the run for the infielder, which also marked an RBI for Dayton.

Both sides went dry until the fourth inning when Stanford squeaked out a run to tie it up with the Utes. A last-minute homer at the tail end of the seventh ripped away Utah’s chance to salvage the game, and the Utes swallowed their second loss of the weekend at 1-2.

Game Three

The weekend’s final match meant one last chance for Utah to record a win, but unfortunately for the Utes, Sunday’s game proceeded much like the one seen on Friday. Belarde opened the game for Utah after reaching on an error before Dayton walked and Nelsen snagged another single. Jacquez grounded out to second base, with Nelsen ultimately getting out on the play, though Belarde was able to push home and Dayton made it safe to third base. Denning was next up to bat, and with a clean single helped Dayton earn her second run of the weekend.

Switching over to the bottom half of the inning, Stanford came out swinging with a homer to stay on Utah’s heels. An error from Utah’s third base allowed the Cardinal to reach second and third base, before a single saw the two both earn runs. More Stanford action came in the second, with a triple coming right off and subsequently scoring a moment later. Utah did their best to catch up in the third after Dayton and Sianni Sakai got on base, but another grounding out from Jacquez saw Dayton out at third base. An error on the next play from center field gave Sakai the opportunity to make it home, bringing the Utes to three runs against Stanford’s four. The Cardinal claimed a fifth and final run during the fourth inning, which ultimately concluded the action from both sides, sending Utah home empty-handed.

What’s Next?

The Utes return home this weekend to host Stanford’s neighbor, the California Golden Bears, for a series of three in Dumke Family Stadium. The games will take place Thursday through Saturday before the Utes also welcome Utah State to Salt Lake on Monday.

@abbey0thomas