Jang: Empower Utah’s Women in STEM

Women in STEM, do not hesitate to speak up and compete with men in STEM fields. Believe in yourselves and take initiative.
Mary Allen
(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

In Utah, a serious gender disparity persists in science, technology, engineering and math — STEM — occupations. Women in Utah remain underrepresented in STEM careers.

“Companies emphasize diversity in recruitments but fail to take women seriously,” said Nandini Goel, a junior majoring in computer science at the University of Utah. “I noticed they hire women just for the sake of diversity on their team.”

Despite demonstrating equal levels of academic excellence as men, young women in Utah pursue fewer careers in STEM. This indicates women in Utah also lack confidence in taking roles in the field.

Let women in Utah feel more confident and involved in STEM fields. This is a collective responsibility, not solely an issue for women themselves.

The Gender Disparity

While STEM job opportunities continue to grow, women in Utah encounter unequal access. Salt Lake City is second in the nation for STEM career opportunities, but it ranks 43rd for its “STEM-Friendliness.” This shows significant gender disparity in STEM occupations and degrees within Utah.

Additionally, the gender gap in engineering and computer science fields is even worse in Utah compared to other states in the nation. Jungmin Ha, a graduate of computer science at the U, said, “I’d say I could count the number of female students with just my fingers.”

Overall, male and female students perform equally well in mathematics and science on standardized tests. Girls also enroll in STEM courses at high rates. However, young women ultimately exhibit less interest in pursuing STEM careers. This suggests females also struggle with confidence and fear competing with males.

Neeraja Vasa, a sophomore majoring in computer science at the U, said, “Many females just don’t take initiative.”

“As a woman, you’re not confident in your ability to succeed in this field because of the male competition. If everybody’s struggling, then women feel even more oppressed,” Goel said.

Discrimination Exists

Utah females’ lack of confidence in STEM fields doesn’t merely stem from internal factors. They experience discrimination. 

“I feel like a lot of guys tend to talk over me, particularly during group projects. They take most of the work, leaving me with very little,” said Vasa.

Goel added that she’s been talked over when she’s answering a question in class.

The pay gap also remains a significant concern for women in STEM careers, particularly in Utah. Women in STEM fields in the state earn significantly less than their men. In computer science fields, the gap widens further, with women earning 36.5% less than men.

“My mom works in STEM and leads the whole team. But she mentioned not getting paid as much as her male coworkers. I was honestly shocked by her pay,” Goel said. 

We Need More Action

Addressing the fundamental gender disparity issue is important. Utah schools must offer girls more opportunities to engage with STEM from an earlier age.

“When I was in high school in Utah, STEM classes were optional. Making them mandatory can expose girls to the field and help them gain confidence in their future choices,” said Ha.

Utah’s government should establish additional support groups with female role models to encourage young women to pursue STEM interests. Many women struggle to find female role models, leading to higher rates of them leaving the industry.

“There should be more support groups outside of the university dedicated to women empowerment,” said Goel. “I’ve seen many back home in Washington State, but there aren’t as many in Utah.”

Everyone bears responsibility for changing how we perceive gender in STEM.

STEM industries, stop pretending to respect women in recruitment. Don’t underestimate women’s abilities and take hiring women seriously.

The Utah government must recognize the male dominance in STEM and tackle the isolation experienced by women. Provide more resources for women and take proactive steps to change societal perceptions of gender in STEM.

@eseudeljang