‘Monkey Man’: From Cages to Kings

For too long, brown kids lacked seeing relatable characters on screen and behind the camera. Patel’s emergence as a role model is empowering, offering representation for a demographic often overlooked in Hollywood.
Mary Allen
(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

With (literal) bone-crushing action sequences and gut-wrenching sociopolitical commentary, Dev Patel’s “Monkey Man” is a film unlike any other. While some may refer it to a “John Wick”-reminiscent film, Patel’s directorial debut is far different from previous revenge-action flicks in the best way possible.

Not Your Average Action Movie

Set in the gritty underbelly of India, the film follows Kid (Patel) as he seeks revenge for his mother’s murder. “Monkey Man” is rich in its culture, commentary and colorful fight scenes. Kid is unlike any of the cool, collected assassins of revenge action movies past. He bares his teeth, filled with desperation and rage, clawing his way up to the top. He does not have the experience or knowledge to get what he wants. He simply fights to go for the kill with no end goal but to act out his revenge. The fight choreography is intense — each punch causes a visceral reaction and makes you feel like you’re right there with him. It doesn’t feel scripted, it feels hauntingly real, gritty and raw. The film doesn’t shy away from showcasing the desperation that breeds within a system rigged against the underprivileged. Every fight feels like a desperate struggle for survival, a reminder of the harsh realities that Kid faces.

‘An Anthem for the Underdogs, the Voiceless and the Marginalized’

Despite criticism suggesting it tackles too many topics, “Monkey Man” mirrors real life. Whether it be the critique of the government, violence towards women, nationalism, abuse against minorities, religious violence, corrupt law enforcement or the caste system, Patel integrates commentary into the narrative of the film seamlessly. He understands the interconnectedness of politics and systemic oppression. He knows that he does not need to expand on every issue for them to affect his characters. Typically, as the protagonist, Kid would be expected to solve all of these problems. But the reality is, he can’t. Kid is still just one person; he can’t topple governments or reform the police force. Instead, he does what he can to seek out his revenge. Not just for him, but for all the people who are abused by the system.

Through Kid, Patel shows the audience what living in this environment is like — a reality most of us are all too aware of. Beyond its surface as an action-packed blockbuster, “Monkey Man” delves into deeply engrained societal issues. And if you want thrilling fight scenes, stunning cinematography and a compelling score, this film delivers on that, too. Patel does not pull his punches in this aspect, despite having broken some bones during filming. But for those who look deeper, “Monkey Man” also reflects on real-world issues, giving the audience time to reflect once the film ends.

Intersectional Storytelling

The film’s importance in representing South Asians cannot be overstated. For too long, brown kids lacked seeing relatable characters on screen and behind the camera. Patel’s emergence as a role model is empowering, offering representation for a demographic often overlooked in Hollywood. Personally, “Monkey Man” has a large impact on me as a South Asian, but I hesitate to elaborate because I feel as though it might be a disservice to all of Patel’s hard work. 

I’m not telling you to watch “Monkey Man” just because it represents minority groups. I’m telling you to go see “Monkey Man” because it’s truly an incredible film packed to the brim with remarkable action, captivating writing and stunning visuals. While its graphic content may not be for everyone, it’s a film worth seeing on the big screen and I am so glad that Jordan Peele was able to secure it a theatrical release. 

“Monkey Man” isn’t just another action film. It’s a raw, unflinching portrayal of desperation through the dialogue, fight scenes and everything in between. Patel’s directorial debut incorporates sociopolitical commentary into every crevice of the narrative without holding back from telling a compelling story about a young man who just wants revenge. If you watch this film, prepare to be pummeled — physically by the action and morally by the message. “Monkey Man” is a must-watch cinematic experience that cuts deep.

@israbii