Establishing Professional Volleyball in the United States

With the PVF seeing success and the LOVB Pro League on the horizon, there is a bright future for the sport of volleyball.
Madelyn Foulger
(Design by Madelyn Foulger | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Since 1895, the sport of volleyball has been the pastime for many athletes. Making waves at the Olympic Games and obtaining significant support at the collegiate level, volleyball has become prime sports entertainment for many. Most recently, while considering the success of the sport, notable efforts are being made to establish the professional volleyball competition here in the United States.

Professional Volleyball Federation

The Professional Volleyball Federation, which began play back in February, has committed itself to establishing a “real pro volleyball league.” With teams across the United States, the league has looked to further expand the reach of the sport of volleyball.

The league has emphasized the importance of maintaining a professional league in the United States. In the past, volleyball players who aspired to play at the professional level had to leave the country. With this league, college players will be able to stay in North America to pursue professional careers. Furthermore, the league provides excellent motivation and establishes role models for young volleyball players.

The PVF consists of seven teams, distributed across the country, each playing a total of 24 games in a season. Additionally, the league plans on expansion for the 2025 season, adding teams in Dallas, Indianapolis and Kansas City.

When the league began play back in February, it quickly found success. In its first week of competition, the league had just over 24,000 fans attend across the three matches. Additionally, the Grand Rapids Rise sold out their first match against Columbus, further emphasizing the excitement surrounding this league.

As of now, over two months since the start of the season, the Atlanta Vibe and Omaha Supernovas have set themselves apart from the rest of the league since they’re the only teams with double-digit victories. With a little under a month left in the regular season, teams are fighting over the opportunity to travel to Omaha for the PVF tournament.

League One Volleyball

A second league will also take on the challenge of establishing professional volleyball in the United States this fall. League One Volleyball, abbreviated as LOVB and pronounced as “love,” plans to start professional play in November. With its six teams, including one here in Salt Lake City, LOVB looks to “reimagine volleyball.

LOVB has committed itself to supporting the growth of volleyball and its players, from young athletes to professional ones. LOVB already has a great number of players playing for their junior-level clubs. Additionally, the LOVB foundation looks to make the sport of volleyball more accessible for everyone. With the establishment of their professional volleyball clubs, LOVB is crafting a “pathway” for players to progress through the ranks of volleyball.

As previously mentioned, the league will consist of six professional clubs in its inaugural season. With teams in Texas, Georgia, Wisconsin, Utah and Nebraska, the league will have quite a reach across the nation. In preparation for the season, many LOVB teams have already landed star players for their rosters. As a result, entertaining competition in the LOVB Pro League is sure to ensue.

The league chose Salt Lake as one of its cities due to Utah’s “grassroots community” and the state-wide success at the junior and collegiate levels of volleyball. LOVB Salt Lake’s team currently consists of two “founding athletes” Haleigh Washington and Jordyn Poulter.

Washington is a former National Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist while Fighting Illini Alum Poulter is a member of the United States National Team and an Olympic Gold Medalist as well. Together, they look to bring a high level of competition to Salt Lake’s team.

With such pivotal progress being made toward the goal of establishing professional volleyball leagues here in the United States, there is no better time to get into the sport. With the PVF seeing success and the LOVB Pro League on the horizon, there is a bright future for the sport of volleyball.

@jonahmarriott