Informed Decision Maker of the Year Awards: Celebrating Those Who Go Unnoticed

The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute awarded five individuals who create change in their communities across Utah.
Marco Lozzi
Awardees pose for a photo after the 2024 Informed Decision Maker of the Year Awards at the Thomas S. Monson Center in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, April 16, 2024. (Photo by Marco Lozzi | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The 2024 Informed Decision Maker of the Year awards was held yesterday by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute, at the Thomas S. Monson Center on the University of Utah campus. 

This event focuses on recognizing and awarding local organizations and individuals who are dedicated to creating change in their communities across Utah.

“Every year, the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute actively acknowledges individuals and entities that contribute to the prosperity of our community,the website reads. “We designate them as Informed Decision Makers and select them based on criteria aligned with our core values.”

This year marks the fifth time the institute has held this event, with a total of 30 recipients. 

Natalie Gochnour is the Gardner Institute director.

“These honorees embody the values that define who we are, how we conduct ourselves and what comprises our work culture at the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute,” she said. “We applaud their work ethic, values and dedication.”

Abe Bakhsheshy, the director of the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative and a professor at the David Eccles School of Business, gave the keynote address for the event. 

Chris Redgrave, the chair of the event committee, presented the awards to each recipient, as well as a $5,000 check from the Gardner family. 

This year, there were five award recipients: three organizations and two individuals. 

Ann Mackin is the co-vice chair of the Bicycle Collective, which received an award. She said the collective is a non profit that serves communities across the state by providing bikes and giving “new lives to old bikes for those in need.” 

Circles Salt Lake was another recipient. According to the event program, this organization aims to “build community to end poverty through intentional friendships, personal transformation and systemic change led by the people closest to the challenge.”

Michelle Crawford, the executive director, accepted the award.

“I’m always so excited to be in a room with people who are putting in the work and really living in community, which is exactly what Circles is about,” she said.

Theresa Foxley was another recipient, as the chief of staff of rPlus Energies. The company works in energy storage development and utility-scale renewable energy. The event handout said she was recognized for her work in creating economic development in Utah, especially the rural areas.

Abe Bakhsheshy gives the keynote address during the 2024 Informed Decision Maker of the Year Awards at the Thomas S. Monson Center in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, April 16, 2024. (Photo by Marco Lozzi | The Daily Utah Chronicle) (Marco Lozzi)

Jerika Mays is the executive director for the Seager Memorial Clinic, another recognized group.

“Our mission is to provide free, easy-access, non-judgmental, charitable medical, dental, vision, and mental health care to the underserved,” the SMC website reads.

Ross Van Vranken is the executive director for the Huntsman Mental Health Institute and another awardee at the event. His efforts in the mental health realm led him to be nominated for this award.

“They said in the nomination letter about how it inspires the individuals and the teams up at the hospital to foster an environment of collaboration, compassion and innovation,” Gardner Institute Chief of Staff Jennifer Robinson said about the nomination of Van Vranken.

Robinson said this event is a way to give to those deserving recognition.

“They kind of fly under the radar … and our goal at the institute is to recognize those … that are doing that kind of important work in the community and help them to shine,” she said.

The event also included the honorees from the previous year, a new addition to the program which Gochnour said she hopes to continue in the future.

@AllisonChrony