Studio Ghibli Fest: Celebrating Ghibli’s Legacy

Studio Ghibli Fest is a unique opportunity to experience these masterpieces on the big screen. It’s a chance to rediscover the magic of these films and appreciate the artistry that went into their creation.
“The Boy and the Heron” Courtesy of Studio Ghibli

This spring marks the start of this year’s Studio Ghibli Fest. After Hayao Miyazaki’s latest masterpiece, “The Boy and the Heron,” was released last year, this event honors the animation studio with a lineup showcasing the works of Miyazaki and Ghibli’s co-founder Isao Takahata. Films by directors Yoshifumi Kondô, Hiroyuki Morita and Hiromasa Yonebayashi will also grace the big screen.

From Dreams to Masterpieces

Hayao Miyazaki, Courtesy of NHK World-Japan

Studio Ghibli and its founders are some of the most influential artists of the modern day. Early in his career, Miyazaki pitched ideas, only to get shot down almost instantly. But he persevered and created Studio Ghibli alongside Takahata, Toshio Suzuki and Yasuyoshi Tokuma. They went on to create some of the most incredible animated films, and have changed animation forever.

Ghibli is committed to preserving the craft of traditional animation, as all of their films are hand-drawn. Some scenes alone took several years to animate. They consistently release unmatched masterpieces, never compromising quality in hopes of releasing films faster. This could be one of the reasons why so many people across the world hold Ghibli in such high regard.

Ghibli films carry multiple themes, such as environmentalism and anti-warfare. However, one of their most common themes is finding beauty in the ordinary.

Finding Magic in the Mundane

“From Up on Poppy Hill” Courtesy of Studio Ghibli

Ghibli films romanticize even the smallest details of life, whether that be cooking, going to work or school or even the sound of morning traffic. One of the reasons Ghibli films are so loved is because they make people feel as though life is worth living. While Ghibli’s worlds may seem far from our reality, they tap into a universal truth: even in the face of challenges, life is beautiful and we all have the power to overcome hardships no matter how ordinary we may be. 

Ultimately, these films leave a lasting impression because they offer a message of hope. They remind us to cherish the simple moments. To celebrate the power of human connection and find wonder in the everyday. In a world that can often feel overwhelming, Studio Ghibli provides a powerful reminder that life with all its imperfections is remarkable and precious.

Experience Ghibli on the Big Screen

“Princess Mononoke” Courtesy of Studio Ghibli

Studio Ghibli Fest is a unique opportunity to experience these masterpieces on the big screen. It’s a chance to rediscover the magic of these films and appreciate the artistry that went into their creation. Fans can also celebrate the life and long-lasting legacy of the studio. You can experience the beautiful art and the incredible acting, whether you want to watch it in Japanese or English (or see it twice for both!)

To kick things off, the festival will open with “Spirited Away,” Miyazaki’s 2001 Oscar winner. Following that will be Miyazaki’s first original film “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind” and Ghibli’s debut film “Castle in the Sky.” The lineup presents a mix of both beloved classics and hidden gems.

Where and When to Watch

“Castle in the Sky” Courtesy of Studio Ghibli

Studio Ghibli Fest will run from April 27 until Dec. 11 this year. Check out the Studio Ghibli Fest website for a detailed breakdown of the screening schedule and where you can buy tickets!

@israbii