U President Taylor Randall Releases Statement on Monday Night’s Pro-Palestine Encampment

Randall released a statement encouraging peaceful, legal protest and condemning illegal overnight trespassing on campus in light of graduation week.
Emerson Hagy
Protestestors on the University of Utah campus form a human chain to protect the encampment in solidarity with Palestine. (Photo by Emerson Hagy | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

University of Utah President Taylor Randall released a statement on Tuesday in response to the encampment, which was started by students, in Presidents’ Circle on Monday night in solidarity with Palestine, an event that ended with 17 protestors arrested by law enforcement.

“I hold an unwavering belief in the power of freely expressed ideas to improve our state and world,” Randall’s statement read. “I want the students and faculty who lawfully protested yesterday to know their voices are heard and matter.”

Under the First Amendment, and as a public university, protesters can exercise freedom of speech peacefully and legally. However, it is against both university policy and state law to camp on campus. The University Department of Public Safety released a statement that read, “Students, faculty, and others do not have the right to set up structures or camp overnight on University of Utah property.”

“At the University of Utah, you have an absolute right to express your opinion,” Randall’s statement read. “You do not have the right to violate law or university policy.” 

Under Utah Administrative code 805-3-3, no camping is allowed on the U’s campus without prior approval from the University Scheduling Office.

Around 11 p.m. on Monday, university police began tearing down the tents of the encampment and pushing out and arresting protesters using zip ties. Around 12 a.m., police allegedly used rubber bullets against those remaining in the vicinity. 

“It’s graduation week,” Randall’s statement concluded. “I ask our campus community to support our graduates by expressing views in a dignified, peaceful, and legal manner. By doing so, we exercise our rights of free expression, honor our graduates, and exemplify civil society.”

Mecha member and encampment organizer Gabriela Merida said the group is demanding all University ties with Israel be cut. The U currently contributes $50,000 in annual membership fees for a place on 47G’s board and will co-sponsor a summit with the organization this fall, where they will invest $100,000.

In a previous interview with The Daily Utah Chronicle, Merida said, “They are capable of meeting the demands yesterday. They can do this. They act like they can’t. They just want the money.” 

Additionally, Merida said the student group will not just stop protesting if the U cuts ties, but only when Palestine is free.

Since Monday night, Mecha has continued to promote pro-Palestine protests despite police push-outs and arrests, and encouraged protesters to show support for those arrested at the Salt Lake County Metro Jail.

According to Mecha’s Instagram, 5 of 17 arrested have been released.

“We anticipate more will be released later today,” their post read.

@LibbeyHNews