Hanson: Take Up Space

If I have any advice, it’s to keep your goals at the forefront of your mind and fight like hell for them.
Marco Lozzi
Libbey Hanson, news writer of the Daily Utah Chronicle, poses for a photo inside the Carolyn and Kem Gardner Commons Building on the University of Utah campus in Salt Lake City on March 29, 2024. (Photo by Marco Lozzi | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

If you had asked me five years ago where I thought I would be today, I wouldn’t have guessed that I would be here writing a farewell for the Daily Utah Chronicle and graduating with a Master of Public Administration from the University of Utah.

I have wanted to be a journalist since I was 10, after watching the iconic rom-com “Never Been Kissed.” Ten-year-old Libbey wholeheartedly believed she would be the best journalist in the world. I studied journalism and literature at Utah State University, and don’t get me wrong, I loved studying under amazing faculty and had the best group of friends for support. However, the constant questioning of, “What are you going to do with that?” got to me, as if I weren’t studying something important enough or I wasn’t good enough to be successful in the field of news or writing. Upon entering the world field, I felt insecure and suffered from imposter syndrome. My 10-year-old self was told to sit down.

When the pandemic hit in 2020, I took whatever jobs I could and ended up in an administration role at the U. It paid my bills, allowed me to live on my own and gave me a small taste of agency. Three years later, working in various administrative roles on campus, I applied for the MPA program with the intention of pursuing an emphasis in human resources. I quickly realized this was not my path. I respect those who do it, but it is not me. I loved political science and issues that affected humans. I needed more creativity and a sense of passion for myself. 

After hours of therapy and self-reflection, I realized I had forgotten about younger Libbey’s dream of being a journalist. It was like I had morphed into another person and left her behind, finding comfort in complacency. Upon that realization, I immediately applied for the news desk at the Chrony and enrolled in some gender studies courses. Here we are.

I have since written numerous stories for the Chrony examining student interests and local politics, among other beats. I have started to focus on topics I am most passionate about and write about them in the ways I see most effective. This has allowed me to blossom as a person, student and professional. I feel more confident about expressing my opinions and advocating for the causes I find unjust because there is plenty to choose from these days. I have also met a team of people who are incredibly talented, and I am honored to have engaged with and learned from them. 

All of this is to say I spent a few years trying to find myself again and my life’s purpose. I lost sight of that 10-year-old with a big dream. If I have any advice, it’s to keep your goals at the forefront of your mind and fight like hell for them. Consistently reflect on what your values are and how you intend to advocate for yourself and others to achieve those goals. You deserve to take up space at this university, in this state and in this country. I think those in leadership, and our own selves, often make us feel like we don’t. You have every right to exercise your voice, to advocate, to stand, to vote, to chant, to ask questions. 

Thank you all for an incredible year of reporting for the Daily Utah Chronicle. Keep reading, learning and advocating for the best and most equitable future possible!

@LibbeyHNews