Utah Baseball Splits Tournament Contests with USC, Oregon

Marking a 1-1 record in tournament pool-play, Utah fell short of the requirements to advance.
Mary Allen
University of Utah senior pitcher Bryson Van Sickle (1) in a game versus University of Washington at Smith’s Ballpark in Salt Lake City on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Photo by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

After being swept by the USC Trojans on the road, the University of Utah baseball team (33-22, 16-14 Pac-12) headed to Scottsdale, Arizona for the Pac-12 tournament. On Tuesday and Wednesday, the Utes began the pool-play portion of the tournament against USC and Oregon.

Game 1

To start off their tournament competition, Utah faced USC for the fourth game in a row. Utah’s offense was the story early in the game. After falling down a run in the second inning, the Utes were quick to respond in the third, scoring on a sacrifice bunt and a fielding error.

The Utes worked to extend their lead in the fourth, scoring two more runs with three hits in the inning. Two hits in the fifth inning then scored the Utes’ fifth run of the game. Leading by four runs, Utah appeared to be in total control of the game.

Despite the deficit, the Trojans refused to go away. USC quickly brought themselves within two of the Utes’ lead, as Carson Wells hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth. Later, in the sixth inning, an RBI single brought the Trojans within one run of the Utah lead.

Then, Kaden Carpenter hit his sixth home run of the year, and his second in two games, to return the lead to two runs. The Trojan offense was not willing to back down, having a stellar showing in the eighth inning. 

A sacrifice fly, RBI single and an RBI double brought in three runs for USC. With the lead now in their favor, the Trojan defense closed the game out, completing the comeback to win 7-6. The Utes earned 10 hits and gave up 13 in the loss.

Game 2

In desperate need of a win to keep their hopes alive, the Utes faced off against the Oregon Ducks in their second pool-play match-up. Bryson Van Sickle, who was announced as the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Year two days prior, started on the mound for the Utes.

Oregon opened up the scoring in the third inning, taking advantage of Utah’s mistakes. With Carter Garate earning first base on a walk, he quickly advanced to third after a passed ball and a botched pick-off attempt. Then, a wild pitch allowed Garate to score the first run of the ballgame.

The Utes responded in the fourth inning, as an RBI double from Carpenter tied the game. The Ducks had a hot start in the fifth, with an early triple placing a runner in scoring position. Shortly after, a single from Bryce Boettcher brought the run in, reclaiming the lead for Oregon.

Eventually, the Utes found themselves with the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the fifth inning. A five-pitch walk then scored a run for Utah, tying the game at two. After that, a double play and a ground-out allowed the Ducks to escape from the jam.

Later, Utah’s offense broke the tie in the seventh inning, as a bases-loaded single from Matt Flaharty scored two runs. With the lead once again in the Utes’ possession, they looked to hold off the Ducks’ offense in the final innings. Merit Jones took over on the mound in the eighth inning and looked to close out the game.

Jones had three strikeouts in the final two innings and gave up zero hits in his showing. With 14 hits, 10 more than the Ducks, the Utes won the game 4-2. Moving to 1-1 in tournament pool-play, Utah fell short of the requirements to advance.

Looking Forward

With the conclusion of these games, Utah has played its final matches as a part of the Pac-12 conference. Next year, the Utes will start their first season as a Big-12 conference member. 

Additionally, the 2025 season will mark the final season that Utes baseball will call Smith’s Ballpark their home. A new stadium will be constructed on campus and is expected to be ready for the 2026 season.

@jonahmarriott