Halsey Surprises Fans with New Single ‘The End’

“The End” reflects on all of these experiences from the perspective of someone who is suddenly hit with the revelation that only in dying do they realize life is worth living.
Mary Allen
(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

On Sunday, June 2, Halsey surprised fans by announcing that she would be releasing her

fifth studio album soon. The next day she released the first single off the album, stating in an Instagram post, “Let’s try something different this time and start at ‘The End.’”

Titled “The End,” the song reveals Halsey’s private struggle with an unnamed chronic illness over the past two years. Tagging the Lupus Research Alliance and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Halsey shared in an Instagram post that she has been diagnosed with Lupus SLE and a rare T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder which she has been undergoing extensive treatment for. Although shocking and concerning fans, Halsey reassured them by stating that both are currently in remission.

“After 2 years, I’m feeling better and I’m more grateful than ever to have music to turn to,” the post read. “I can’t wait to get back where I belong: With you all, singing and screaming my heart out.”

Halsey has never shied away from talking about deeply emotional events. Her discography is filled with stripped-down ballads and powerful love songs detailing abusive relationships and her innermost emotional turmoil and personal struggles.

She has also always been very outspoken about her struggles with bipolar disorder, even centering her album “Manic” around her manic phases and the creativity that comes from them.

This time, however, it’s different.

This revelation comes at a time in her life when she was thought to be all healed. Halsey has struggled with the disease endometriosis, undergoing a number of painful experiences and procedures before overcoming all odds and giving birth to their son.

Focusing on a healthy life and raising her son, Halsey traded in her partying for slower days centered around an appreciation for the little things in life, which is reflected in the pictures she chooses to share with the world.

Finding love in new, healthy romantic relationships also helped Halsey gain a new appreciation for life, which is reflected in the lyrics “And I told him I’m not bitter ‘cause I finally found a lover / Who’s better for my liver, and now I’ll finally recover.”

This new single is centered around this new love.

With lyrics referencing her past illnesses, the chorus asks this new lover, “Would you like to stay a while?” Set to a beautiful melody, Halsey’s voice suggests that there is some hope for peace and healing in this one.

With the song winding down to the outro, the lyrics, “When I met you, I said I would never die. But the joke was always mine ‘cause I’m racing against time,” reveal that the singer might not have much time left with this new love, peace and healing. Hit with that realization, the song becomes a bittersweet goodbye letter and the beautiful melody becomes melancholy.

Working hard to get her chronic illnesses in remission for the past two years, Halsey is celebrating her life by turning to music. In an Instagram post promoting her fifth studio album, she states, “Long story short, I’m Lucky to be alive. short story long, I wrote an album.”

Fans are sharing their love and appreciation for the singer, while wishing her a healthy life and patiently awaiting her new album.

@u_mponce