Getting in the swing of things

Daily Utah Chronicle file photo
Daily Utah Chronicle file photo
As California is full of beautiful beaches and palm trees, it’s easy to lose oneself basking in the sun when in the Golden State. However, the Utes aren’t headed to Berkeley to catch some rays and enjoy themselves on the beach when they take on Cal this weekend in a three-game set.
Unfortunately for Utah, momentum is not on its side. The team has lost eight of its last nine games, including Tuesday’s extra-inning heartbreaker to BYU. The players haven’t given up or lost focus but know the team needs to rebound this weekend if they want to savor this season.
“After the BYU game, we had a couple of things to work on, and we fixed it yesterday,” says sophomore outfielder Wyler Smith. “We worked on it in the cages, and so I think we’re actually pretty confident in our swings and how we’re going to transition what we’ve learned in the cages to the games this weekend.”
It’s no secret that Utah’s offense has been the weak link thus far in the season. The Utes have only put 17 runs on the board in the past nine games. Adding insult to injury, Utah has been shut out twice and scored only one run four times.
Despite the offensive shortcomings, the Utes just want to keep to what their strategy has been all season. Head coach Bill Kinneberg has said hitting is contagious and that once one player gets a hit, other hits will follow.
Regardless of the loss, the Utes feel as if the BYU game was a step in the right direction, making contact with pitches and getting on base more frequently. Utah did feel the frustration of coming so close in that loss to the Cougars, however, and doesn’t want to make a habit of it.
“The biggest thing was just a lot of energy and emotion going into that game,” says catcher Konnor Armijo. “The way the outcome was, was kind of draining on us … Everyone was kind of somber and just thinking of things you could have done differently.”
When the two teams take the field Friday night, both squads will be looking for their first win in Pac-12 play. Both Cal and the Utes have suffered through some tough losses this season, but one team will come away from this weekend with momentum going forward. Armijo believes if Utah can continue its play from its last game, that the team can garner the first Pac-12 win of the season.
“I think just taking the same energy and atmosphere that the BYU game was to Cal all three games,” he says. “We know the atmosphere isn’t going to be the same because of the rivalry game, but if we make that same atmosphere up there, build off each others energy … get timely hits, work on the small game, executing bunts, and just play in our strength, we’ll come out of the weekend pretty good.”
The first game is scheduled to start 6 p.m. MT on Friday night.