Suicyde burgers, curried chicken: the best recipes to break in your grill

This early spring means one thing — BBQ season is finally here. Here are two grilling recipes that will make your backyard bash the envy of your neighborhood.

Suicyde Burgers

This spicy spin-off of the grilling staple is brought to you compliments of grill master Hemantha Walaliyadda.

2 lb ground beef

1 pack of hamburger buns

1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced

8 oz Portobello mushrooms

1 head of lettuce

1-2 tomatoes sliced thinly

2 avocados (optional)

Grated cheese to taste

Serrano peppers to taste

Habanero peppers to taste

Jalapeños to taste

Cayenne pepper to taste

1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce

Other condiments

(yields 6-8 burgers)

Start by piecing together the ground beef into patty-sized balls. Make them a little larger than normal patties so you have enough meat to encase your ingredients.

Make a small indent in the middle of the patty to hold your ingredients, then place all the ingredients except lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and sauces inside the raw patty. Fold the sides of the patty over the ingredients and press the ingredients in with your thumbs. Start molding the patty back into a thin disk, being careful not to let the ingredients slip out.

Once you’ve successfully made the patty, it is time to start grilling. I like to slather the patty in Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce before grilling to help caramelize the patty exterior, which actually helps keep the patty intact while grilling.

Grill on high with the lid closed, flipping occasionally when one side has been browned significantly. Feel free to apply more Sweet Baby Ray’s during the grilling process if you’re looking for a sweeter flavor.

Be sure to cook thoroughly — ingredients inside must blend and meat must be cooked through, lest you get mad cow disease.

Grill some buns and place lettuce, tomatoes, avocado or any of the other ingredients you originally added, if you want more. Apply condiments, and proceed to cry and sweat.

Curried Chicken

Looking for a unique dish to shake up the picnic table’s tired selection? Give this simple Thai adaptation a try, and get ready to be hailed as an international cook.

2-6 chicken breasts

1 bottle Trader Joe’s Red Thai Curry Sauce

1 medium-sized yellow onion

1 red bell pepper

1 yellow bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

Cumin

Tin foil

Peel the onion. Remove the top of the onion and slice into six wedge-shaped pieces, but do not cut all the way through the bottom. Gently spread the wedges, and coat the onion in oil to help prevent sticking. Add salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Take a piece of tin foil with small holes, and wrap the onion, while maintaining a star shape. Add to the grill first, because it will have the longest cook time, at approximately 40 minutes.

In a large bowl, add raw chicken breast and enough Trader Joe’s Red Curry Sauce to thinly coat all the breasts. Add pepper and salt to taste then mix around until evenly coated. Add the chicken to the grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Slice halfway through the thickest part of the chicken to check for pinkness before serving. Remember that the chicken will cook itself briefly after it is removed from the grill.

Remove the stem and the seeds of the bell peppers. Quarter the peppers lengthwise, then wash the insides and remove the white sections. Boat in olive oil and add to the grill skin side down. Cook until charred, about five minutes. Remove skin and slice into slivers.

Serve plain or over rice or couscous.

@ChronyArts