Quick and Easy Meals for Your First Semester of School

As the first week of the semester flies by, food might be the last thing on your mind, but it shouldn’t be. If you moved out of your parent’s house and into a new apartment, then the kitchen is a great place to rewind after a long day of classes. Here are some simple and easy meals you can cook to sweeten the deal.

screenshot-dailyutahchronicle.camayak.com 2015-08-27 19-42-06

The Kitchen Sink

Ingredients:

Whatever you have in your fridge

Instructions:

For this meal, all you need is whatever you have in your fridge. This is my favorite version of the kitchen sink.

Take leftover grilled salmon and slice it up into small pieces. Take any leftover vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli, cooked potatoes and spinach, and cut into bite-size pieces.

Pour half a can of chicken broth into a bowl and add your salmon and vegetables.

Throw in a few red pepper flakes for an extra kick.

Add a couple of drops of soy sauce for flavoring and heat up in a pot or the microwave.

I cook mine for about two and a half to three minutes until the broth is the perfect temperature.

Test the temperature and enjoy!

screenshot-dailyutahchronicle.camayak.com 2015-08-27 19-43-12

Pasta with Vegetables:

Ingredients:

1 box of pasta, whatever your favorite is

2 boneless chicken breasts

9 ounces of cherry or grape tomatoes

2 handfuls of spinach

1/2 white onion

1 clove of garlic

Italian herbs seasoning

Salt and pepper to taste

Olive oil to drizzle

Parmesan to taste

Instructions:

Start off by preparing your chicken. Dice into small pieces and sprinkle with Italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on as well and mix together. Set aside in the fridge until needed.

Chop up tomatoes into halves and set aside.

Chop up onion and garlic into small pieces.

In a medium saucepan, drizzle olive oil into the pan. Add onions and garlic and sautée until brown.

In a medium pot, boil water for your pasta; add pasta when the water is ready.

After your onions and garlic are browned, add chicken and sautée until thoroughly cooked.

Once that is cooked, add tomatoes and spinach to the mix.

Check on your pasta and make sure it tastes delicious. Drain pasta and place in the medium saucepan with the vegetables and chicken.

Cover with a lid and simmer for about two to three minutes so the pasta can absorb the flavors.

Have one final taste test, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve!

This meal is another one that is great for leftovers. All you have to do the next day is reheat, throw some cheese on top and you are good to go!

Cooking during your first week doesn’t have to be that hard. It’s all about utilizing the ingredients you have in your kitchen. Go out and explore those tastebuds!