Chinese Culture Week brings language, culture to the U

Chinese Culture Week is bringing art, lectures and engagement to the U.

Hosted by the Confucius Institute, the Asian Center and the School of Music, the celebration kicks off Sunday with a Chinese and western music concert. The performance features U faculty Ning Lu and Jie Lu, as well as internationally acclaimed violinist Wen Yuan Gu, the associate principal second violin of the Utah Symphony.

“This is a good opportunity for students studying Chinese and Chinese students of the university to make connections,” said Jonah Katz, a junior in Asian studies.

The Beijing Normal University’s art troupe will perform its piece “The Beauty of Chinese Art” on Tuesday and Wednesday night. The group blends traditional Chinese music and dance with some aspects of Western style.

Students can learn the art of Chinese calligraphy from Shan Hua Cao. He is providing calligraphy demonstrations and workshops Monday through Thursday. Richard Hsieh, another local independent artist, will demonstrate his painting techniques on Monday for students looking to engage their creative side.

There will also be a Chinese speech contest for students studying the language. First-level competitors will introduce themselves, second-level will talk about a memorable experience they’ve had learning Chinese and third-level will address their dreams and goals. Winners will receive a cash prize.

The week will taper off with a lecture by Jin Jiang, a professor of history at East China Normal University, titled “State and the Popular Entertainment in Socialist Shanghai.”

“Knowing about Chinese culture is important for students that might have business or personal relationships with people from China. It will open the door for new opportunities,” said Shinchi Famekao with the Confucius Institute.

All events are free and open to the public. Locations are scattered across the Salt Lake Valley to accommodate a larger community. The full schedule of events can be found online at: confucius-institute.utah.edu/news.php.

@emilyorgandy