Blue Plate Diner brings retro, nostalgic vibe to Salt Lake City

The past is comforting. Warm memories associated with the past are probably why throwbacks have become so popular; they help us to conjure up a sense of nostalgia. When it comes to throwbacks, food may not be one of the first things that comes to mind, but food can hold a lot of memories. Even more so, certain food establishments can create great throwback atmospheres.

The Blue Plate Diner is a local Salt Lake favorite and one of these places that evokes the aura of another era. The diner, popular for its satisfying food and retro style, is straight out of the ‘50s, with some other eras blended in. Recently the outside of the restaurant has gained some more classic flair with a colorful mural proclaiming, “Come see our old-time soda fountain.” The neon arrow that contains the name of the restaurant has been supplemented with a painted-on arrow that says “come eat here.” These additions amp up the quaint exterior while adding to the classic style.

The first thing you notice when you walk into the small diner is the classic soda-fountain counter next to an old-fashioned jukebox. The other thing that catches your attention is the amount of stuff on the walls, in the corners and hanging from the ceiling. With everything from old postcards strung across the support beams to a collection of vintage clocks and license plates above the counter, there is a lot to take in. The decor and the classic tunes coming from the speakers make it easy to pretend you’ve been transported back to another era. The memorabilia has been collected over many years, some of it by the owners and some of it donated by patrons.

One of the best things about Blue Plate, aside from the retro ambience, is that their breakfast menu is served all day. It is hard to find a good restaurant in Salt Lake that keeps the eggs and bacon pumping from breakfast to dinner. This is good news for those who agree that limiting breakfast to only once a day is a travesty.

Even the name of the diner is an ode to an older establishment. The owner of the diner, John Bouzek, named the restaurant after a diner he frequented when he was growing up out of state. The name has grown into a staple of Salt Lake culture. The weekend brunch crowd can be seen piling into the cozy restaurant, sipping some coffee and enjoying good food and good decor.

If you want to take a step back in time, head over to the Blue Plate Diner. There’s lots to look at and the warm, friendly atmosphere and killer breakfast plates will get you hooked. The restaurant is open seven days a week, from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sit at the counter and enjoy a milkshake or soda and pick a song on the Jukebox. Blue Plate is groovy.