Utah Ballet Three: The Perfect Way To Immerse In The World Of Ballet

If the thought of sitting through an entire ballet performance has always sounded daunting, Utah Ballet Three might be the perfect show to break down that fear. With a runtime of about an hour and a half (including intermission) and two very different but equally enjoyable pieces, it’s a perfect way to wet your feet in the world of ballet.

The second show of the semester for the U’s Department of Ballet opened the weekend before Spring Break but will return for another run of four performances this weekend. It features a one-act ballet telling the story of Hansel and Gretel as well as “Walpurgisnacht Ballet,” a short work by renowned choreographer George Balanchine.

ballet 12

“Hansel and Gretel,” which opens the program, was conceived and choreographed by Michael Bearden, a professor in the department. Bearden, who performed as a principal dancer for Salt Lake’s Ballet West prior to joining the U’s faculty, has crafted a compelling and creepy version of the fairytale. His rendition has many familiar elements: the wicked stepmother who convinces a father to abandon his son and daughter in the woods, the trail of breadcrumbs left by a pair of lost and frightened children, the witch who lives in a candy house to lure her chosen prey. But even for those familiar with the tale, the ballet is a spectacle not to be missed.

While the dancing in the performance is fantastic, there are other highlights. The costumes, created by the department’s costume shop, are beautiful. In particular, keep an eye out for the black birds that bother Hansel and Gretel in the woods — adorned with masses of feathers and fitted with incredible beaks and headdresses, they would be a treat to see even if they weren’t such good dancers. The music, which is a compilation of selections by Dimitri Shostakovich and Gregory Sviridov among others, blends together well enough that it’s possible to think it was composed specifically for the ballet. The scenery, from the dark opening inside the witch’s house where the only light comes from a bubbling cauldron to the lovely — though occasionally ominous — backdrop of the forest, captures the imagination.

utah ballet 2

Two casts perform “Hansel and Gretel” over the course of the weekend — meaning audiences might wish to go twice — but one dancer remains the same. Kara Roseborough, a sophomore in the department, portrays the witch in all eight performances. Between her skillful dancing, her stellar acting and the truly frightening makeup job that transforms her into an old hag, Roseborough is a stand-out.

“Hansel and Gretel” is at different times amusing, startling, fantastical and scary. The dancing and acting are well done, and the design of the show creates a world the audience will get lost in as easily as the title characters. Perhaps the one problem is that the ending is a bit abrupt — those in the audience may hunger for just a bit more closure.

Usually in a ballet performance, the story ballet is the second piece on the bill. It was therefore somewhat unexpected to see “Hansel and Gretel” opening Utah Ballet Three. However, with a tale as frequently disturbing as “Hansel and Gretel” can be, it is good to end on a bright and happy note. Balanchine’s “Walpurgisnacht Ballet” provides just that. Exciting music and lively dancing provide a fitting ending for the show. The recognizable intensity and difficulty of Balanchine choreography are present but executed well by the student dancers. From the more traditional opening, with its careful formations and pulled-back hairstyles, to the bold finale, where the dancers let their hair fly as freely as their movements, the piece is a delight.

Utah Ballet Three continues tonight at 5:30 p.m., Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. All performances will be held at the Marriott Center for Dance. Tickets are free for students with a UCard.

@katieoflin