Events Calendar Nov. 13

Crimson Passport

Learning Abroad and the International Leadership Academy are presenting Crimson Passport: Films from Abroad on Thursday, Nov. 16 from 5-6 p.m. at the Union Theater. This event is free for all students, and it features student films, free popcorn and international candy. Viewers will also have the chance to vote for their favorite student films while broadening their horizons in international student films with the opportunity to ask the filmmakers questions after the screening. If you have studied abroad and have a film you would like to submit for this event, you can email your submissions to [email protected].

International Night

Celebrate the University of Utah’s diverse student community by attending International Night on Friday, Nov. 17 from 6-8:30 p.m in the Union Ballroom. This event includes dinner served at 6 p.m. with the program beginning promptly at 6:30 p.m. The program has a lineup that features a Cultural Showcase, an International Fashion Show, International Group Student Performances, prizes and more.

Tickets for this event are $6 in advance and $7 day of. Tickets can be bought at the Union or online.

Chamber Music Society of Salt Lake City: Pacifica Quartet
The Chamber Music Society of Salt Lake City presents the Pacifica Quartet at the Libby Gardner Concert Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7:30 p.m. General admission for this event is $33. As an Arts Pass event, U students get in free with their UID, other students pay $13 and faculty, staff and seniors pay $18. No children under 8 will be admitted into the show. The Pacifica Quartet is an internationally renowned group of four string musicians who have been performing together for the past two decades. They have received a number of awards including a Grammy Award for the Best Chamber Music Performance. The members of the Pacifica Quartet are residents of Indiana, where they are full-time faculty members at Indiana University’s Jacobs School of Music. This Quartet is comprised of Simin Ganatra (violin), Austin Hartman (violin), Guy Ben-Ziony (viola) and Brandon Vamos (cello).

SafeU

This year, the University of Utah has launched its SafeU website, which provides information on what to do and where to report violent incidents, sexual assault and discrimination. SafeU is also featuring three events this month. On Nov. 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. will be “Get the 411 on all things 911” at the Marriott Library Plaza. There will be free donuts and hot drinks provided. This event centers on educating students about campus escorts, bystander intervention training and how to find information on the “SafeU” website. There will also be representatives from the University Department of Public Safety, the Center for Student Wellness, the Women’s Resource Center, the Office for Inclusive Excellence and the Presidential Task Force on Campus Safety. The “SafeU” will have this event every Thursday for the rest of the month of November. For more information visit safeu.utah.edu.

Women’s Chorus

Women’s Chorus will be performing on Monday, Nov. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the Libby Gardner Concert Hall. This event is free for all and will feature the Women’s Chorus performing signature tunes from classical, popular, and world music in “Around the World through Vocal Music” which will be interwoven with poetry and instrumental music. “Around the World through Vocal Music” expresses messages of kindness, love, hope, peace and empowerment demonstrated through expressive, reflective, richly emotional, passionate creativity and artistry. For information about this event and others from the School of Music go to music.utah.edu. If you have questions regarding this event, email [email protected].

Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving break starts on Thursday, Nov. 23 and goes until Sunday, Nov. 26. The Campus will be closed during this time. Thanksgiving is a holiday to reflect on what we have and what we are grateful for. This is also the time to donate canned food and goods to those in need. The Alumni Association at the University of Utah has launched their annual Food Drive which is open for monetary donations until Nov. 25. All donations go directly to the Utah Food Bank which can provide 8 lbs of food for every $1 donated to those in need. For more information go to http://ulink.utah.edu/s/1077/16/interior.aspx?sid=1077&gid=1&pgid=878 To donate go to http://fighthunger.utahfoodbank.org/. You can also make a non-perishable food donation at the Alumni Association Building.

Exhibitions

Vikings, Beyond the Legend Natural History Museum of Utah
Now through Jan. 1

Guest Masterclass: Vera Calabria, Stage Director

Nov. 13, 2–4 p.m.

Thompson Chamber Music Hall

You Never Can Tell

Nov. 10-19, 7:30 p.m.

Babcock Theater

Lectures

Sports in China
Nov. 13, 12–1 p.m. Language and Communication Building (LNCO)

SafeU: Test Get the 411 on All things 911
Nov. 16, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Marriott Library Plaza